Silt, CO - Woman apparently did not hear train that killed her

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I feel for her family, but come on... if this isn't the dumbest thing you can do, I don't know what is. We kick people off the RR tracks often and some of them cop an attitude... really? Just last week I saw a couple walking down these same tracks with their dog. Yeah, because the RR tracks are a good substitute for a sidewalk or a bike path. :rolleyes:

http://www.postindependent.com/article/20120321/VALLEYNEWS/120329993/1083&parentprofile=1001

Victim wore ‘ear-buds' while walking along the tracks

SILT, Colorado — Authorities say Ashley Nicole Vale, killed by a fast-moving Amtrak passenger train on March 17, apparently did not hear the westbound train coming despite the blaring of the horn and the screech of brakes as engineers tried desperately to warn her.

“The statement from the Amtrak engineers said she was walking westbound on the tracks and she never turned around,” said Deputy Garfield County Coroner Lanny Grant.

Vale was walking alone down the tracks, wearing ear buds for a portable electronic device, and may have been listening to music while she walked, Grant said.

She died instantly from the impact, suffering “multiple examples of blunt force trauma” caused by the impact of a train moving at 70 miles per hour.

“The manner of her death is officially undetermined,” he said. Investigators are still trying to learn why she was on the tracks.

He said a toxicology screening was conducted, but the results will not be known for weeks.

Grant said local authorities are awaiting video records from Amtrak. The train engineers reported that “as soon as they became aware of the person on the tracks, they hit the horn and applied the emergency brakes,” Grant said.

But there was not enough distance for the nine-car train, carrying 179 passengers, to stop in time, he said.

Vale, 27, reportedly was staying with family in Silt and had gone for a solitary walk.

“The information from the family is that she needed to go for a walk,” Grant continued, adding that there was no indication as yet that Vale was emotionally distraught.

She wasn't identified until Monday.

Grant said Vale was carrying no identification. “We didn't know who she was until Monday afternoon,” he said, when a fingerprint analysis brought up her name.

At roughly the same time on Monday, Vale's family was in the process of filing a missing person report.

“The two just sort of came together,” he said, when authorities realized that Vale was the subject of the family's report.

The accident remains under investigation.

Grant noted that none of the passengers on the train were injured when the engineers slammed on the brakes.

“It happens a lot faster than you would imagine,” Grant said of the sequence of events that killed Vale.

He said during the investigation, he was on the tracks at one point when a westbound freight train approached at 45 miles per hour.

The slower speed, he said, was arranged to permit him and another deputy to spend time on the tracks looking for anything that might have a bearing on the case.

Still, he said, “it was probably less than 90 seconds before the train reached the scene, even at 45 miles an hour.”

STAG

On my grind
Truly traumatic for the conductors and passengers to have witnessed that. I've watched a couple YouTube videos of first-person (conductors view) of trains hitting moose, deer and cows, couldn't image a person.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Something is funky... how did she not feel the train coming?

Bass Boost(tm).

I used to walk along tracks back home, but usually because they were a. a clear path through the trees and/or b. a dry path through the swampy wetlands. At no point did I stop paying attention to the fact that they were TRAIN TRACKS that carried TRAINS that might KILL ME. But then, I did read "Stand By Me" pretty early on hahah

Full Darwin

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Something is funky... how did she not feel the train coming?

There's no way you'd feel it until the last second or 2.... back turned to an approaching train that's running 70 MPH, listening to music thru ear buds.... if she had any kind of warning feeling the vibrations or hearing the horn over the ear buds, it wouldn't have given her enough time to react.

You'd be surprised how quickly and quietly Amtrak moves, especially on jointless rail... it's pretty spooky how fast that train can sneak up on you if they're not on the horn.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
There's no way you'd feel it until the last second or 2.... back turned to an approaching train that's running 70 MPH, listening to music thru ear buds.... if she had any kind of warning feeling the vibrations or hearing the horn over the ear buds, it wouldn't have given her enough time to react.

You'd be surprised how quickly and quietly Amtrak moves, especially on jointless rail... it's pretty spooky how fast that train can sneak up on you if they're not on the horn.

Didn't realise they were that sneaky! I'll be sure to keep an eye out for ninja Amtrak trains, then. :)

TRNDRVR

IMA BUM
I know the 2 engineers that were involved. From what I've heard around the water cooler, she wasn't wearing any shoes.

Yeah, she wasn't "emotionally distraught"!

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
I had a freind in HS that was killed in the same way. He was walking with his walkman on, past an idling train, and he never heard the train coming from behind.

TRNDRVR

IMA BUM
Even with earbuds, I can't believe he wasn't on the horn since he could see her and she couldn't hear that.
You would be amazed how quiet we can be, even with nine gazillion decibel horn blasting at you as we run you over. I have first hand knowledge/experience in this type of situation. It absolutely baffles me every time.

.....and he WAS on the horn, on top of plugging it as soon as he saw her. So many things were done to avoid the inevitable.

Last edited:

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
now image all the idiots that have earbuds in their ears while driving to work and such... I saw a guy with earbuds on and there was a fire truck sitting behind him with lights and siren blaring and the dumbass just sat there unaware of the truck... light turned green and he just keep driving like nothing was going on... then the fire truck passed him on the right and he about jumped out of his skin...

Its becoming more and more common for people to be wearing headphones and earbuds while driving... even though its against the law...