Single Sided Full Hydro...

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I bought my TJ's full hydro from that same guy, it worked pretty good IMO. I called him and talked to him about it and he was good to deal with. I liked buying a 'kit' like that, which had everything together in one package.

I was happy with it, a double ended ram is obviously better, but for that price it works great. It's not quite as stable at speed as a double ended ram, but it works well for what I wanted. It worked very well offroad 98% of the time. There were one or 2 times that my steering bound up and I couldn't turn the wheels, but I think that would be the case for almost any other full hydro system in the same position.

If you're driving on the street with a single-ended full hydro ram, you will want some kind of 'street' anti-sway bar. Without any kind of swaybar my TJ was incredibly unstable and darted all over the road over 35 MPH. The steering input is NOT linear when making minor adjustments at speed, a small adjustment of the steering wheel would make a pretty substantial change at the tires. After adding the Teraflex Dual-Rate swaybar the TJ I could drive around 60-65 MPH with the single-ended fully hydro.

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
With a single ended ram the steering response isnt going to be equal side to side(more turns lock to lock one way vs the other). If youre going to use your stock TJ steering wheel, and youre a stickler for detail like me, it will drive you nuts that the wheel is not in the same position all the time.

I would reccomend double ended full hydro or hydro assist for a street driven rig. I run 40" Iroks with hydro assist on my YJ, and I have no issues on the street or trail.

a little more info...

This is what I'm trying to figure the steering out for.

04' TJ (see sig) that I will be running a 94' balljoint D60.
Also, my plans are to do a front stretch, approximately 5-6". This will give me a wheel base around 108-109".
My steering wheel is not stock, it's an aftermarket 3 spoke.
Plans are for 40's.

Thanks for the input guys.