skid plate mods

wrangler

for those about to rock..
Has anyone needed to notch their skid plate after install of an axle? Its in a wrangler. It is also the front axle. If so can I see some pics? I did angle the pinion about 8 degrees.

Thanks

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I'm assuming you need to notch it for driveshaft clearance? That isn't a terribly uncommon requirement. what axle do you have? High pinion or low? Is it offset to one side more than the stocker?

wrangler

for those about to rock..
low pinion D44. not offset at all as far as I can tell. Its a wagoneer front going into a yj. Got any pics? How far do I notch?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Just keep notching until your driveshaft no longer hits. (lift the jeep by the frame so the front axle stays on the ground. Keep lifting until the tires are off the ground and keep notching until the shaft no longer hits) Every rig will be different so there is no set length on how far to notch. I think I cut about 2-3 inches into mine and just wide enough for the shaft to clear it.

zukking01

I notched mine for a 4dd low pinion ford. I think I had to take about 2 inches out. Doesnt seem to affect anything.