skins: material and mounting

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Herzog said:
I bolted mine on, but if I were to do it again with Roll Plastic, I'd Zip tie it. The plastic expands in the sun and gets very wavy. I'd imagine that the zip ties would give it a little more give and look better in that situation.

The zip ties don't look bad at all. In fact, I didn't even notice many of the skins had zip ties out there. It's all about how closely you look at it.

With zip ties the plastic still gets wavy with temperature changes.

My biggest peeve with zip ties is that it's extremely easy to rip the body panel off on obstacles. (breaking the zip ties) I always ended up with half-dragging panels that I'd have to take off the rest of the way. That's why I bolted them on this go-round.

The biggest thing that helps keep panels intact though, is to have the "nerf bar" stick out a little bit from the side. Mine sticks out probably one tube width (1.5") and I don't destroy NEARLY as many panels as I used to.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I think bolts look better. What color did you get? Like Shane said, the roll plastic expands in the sun. The darker the color, the more it expands. Polycarbonate doesn't seem to do that. It's more expensive, but I think polyccarbonate panels look nicer. Easier material to work with too.

fordy4

I got black, so I'll probably have some expanding in the sun. I guess I just give it a try with the zip ties this go around and see how long I like it. Where do you get the polycarbonate? Does it come in similar colors?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
fordy4 said:
I got black, so I'll probably have some expanding in the sun. I guess I just give it a try with the zip ties this go around and see how long I like it. Where do you get the polycarbonate? Does it come in similar colors?

Polycarbonate typically only comes in clear, then you paint it on the inside.

jrussell3176

I'm using the .060 polycarbonate and can't decide whether to bolt them or zip-tie them. Zip-ties seem so much easier (and no extra holes in the cage), but it's hard to believe they would stay put and not be too noticeable. Anyone who used zip-ties have any pics?

Bart

Poly carb is the way to go, but be prepaired to drop $60+ per 4x8 sheet. It does hold up to a bashing. I like the dzus fasteners also. They take more time to mount, but once done I can remove and replace panels in less than a minute.