Skool me on the 2003-present Dodge Rams with CTD

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Thinking of selling my ZJ and getting a tow vehicle/daily driver/4 door family mover/jeep parts mover.

I'm partial to the new body Rams. Are there any major differenced between the 2003 to present 2500 CTDs? I know the transmissions were changed and the 5.9L numbers got better (H.O. 600 ft/lbs). I plan on adding a small lift and some power goodies when I have the money. How do the non H.O. CTDs react to power mods vs. the H.O.?

Or should I say screw the 2500 and get a 1500 and not have to deal with desel at $3.45 a gallon! :mad:

Thanks,
Jason

pkrfctr

huge differences between 03 and now!!! the o3 are 555 the 04 + are 600-650 . 03 have the old tranny 04 have the newer one. also in 06 you have the option of the mega cab. I'm not sure on the differences between chipping the ho's and non ho's. I would think if you are interested in chipping it would make more sence to start with an ho. I have an 04 ho ctd and love it. I had a 1/2 ton truck but it had a hard time pulling the jeep. With the dodge load it up and only loose 1-2 mpg loaded. I can put the jeep on the trailer and set the cruise at 75 and never touch it.
tim

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I love my 2005 3500 dually. It sux to pay at the pump, but the reward is worth it. I just hauled my 7,000.00 lbs old truck to the scrap yard and didn't even feel it :D

ps, it rates at 325 hp and 610 flb of torque :)

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I've only been looking at manual trans trucks and they changed from the NV5600 to a Getrag unit mid-05. I'm going to try to stick with the NV.

The '03 motor debuted as a 550 and then turned to a 600 by '04 (I think it was a mid-year intro, but I'm not sure). I'd take either one as they are both SIGNIFICANT improvements over my 5.7L I currently use.

Jay5.9L

mbryson said:
I've only been looking at manual trans trucks and they changed from the NV5600 to a Getrag unit mid-05. I'm going to try to stick with the NV.

The '03 motor debuted as a 550 and then turned to a 600 by '04 (I think it was a mid-year intro, but I'm not sure). I'd take either one as they are both SIGNIFICANT improvements over my 5.7L I currently use.

5.7L HEMI or 5.7L Vortec? :cool:

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Jay5.9L said:
What type of milage are you guys getting? It will still server as my daily driver.
15mpg going up and down Little Cottnwood Cyn every day :D Not bad for a full size dually.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I love mine. The wimpy 555 pound-feet '03s get better mileage then those big burly 600s. Without towing mine gets low 20's mixed city/highway. Of course, I never drive it without towing any more... :ugh:

JIM

85cj7
Supporting Member
I get 19-20 emty 16 with jeep on flat bed trailer. Pull Spanish Fork in 6th
gear 65 mph. 2000 3500 dully with 60 horse Edge box.

fergusor

RockMonkey said:
I love mine. The wimpy 555 pound-feet '03s get better mileage then those big burly 600s. Without towing mine gets low 20's mixed city/highway. Of course, I never drive it without towing any more... :ugh:

For only for an added $1100 you can add a 140 hp selectable chip,http://www.quadzillapower.com/dodge-cummins/xz-03-05.html 4 inch exhaust, and an air intake and filter. MPG can go up or down it just depends how fast you go. Last time I towed I go 17.6 mpg, but I also stayed at the 2000 rpm area. Above 2000 my mpg drops drastically

Jay5.9L

For sh*ts and giggles I went out and test drove a Ram 1500 with the Hemi (did not get a chance to get in a CTD). No offense to anyone with a Hemi but where is the off idle torque? Upper RPMs it was poweful but I'm used to taking my foot offthe brake and my Jeep rolling forward. The 1500 just sat there until I got an inch into the pedal. Maybe its just this truck (I drove one a while ago and liked it better) but its was on the lame side :rofl:

Fat Tony

79 Toyota Truck
I dont think the Hemi was made to be a truck engine. My buddy beat a Ram Hemi with his 96 Ford Bronco with the not to great 5.8 and it only has 205 H.P. and the Hemi has 345.

robfisher

pkrfctr said:
huge differences between 03 and now!!! the o3 are 555 the 04 + are 600-650 . 03 have the old tranny 04 have the newer one. also in 06 you have the option of the mega cab. I'm not sure on the differences between chipping the ho's and non ho's. I would think if you are interested in chipping it would make more sence to start with an ho. I have an 04 ho ctd and love it. I had a 1/2 ton truck but it had a hard time pulling the jeep. With the dodge load it up and only loose 1-2 mpg loaded. I can put the jeep on the trailer and set the cruise at 75 and never touch it.
tim
I just got my 05 2500 a few months ago but I wouldn't trade it for anything. It has power to spare and far out pulls any gas motor with good mileage. I pull a 12,000 pound trailer every day and still get 16 mpg in town and thats with 35 inch tires. I never slow below 70 or so at hills and I get about 18-19 mpg on the highway pulling or not. The only mods that I have are a 3" leveling kit to get its nose out of the ground, air bags to help the ride and a 4" exhaust system that really sounds sweet. I have driven lots of diesels and none of them compare in power. Not Ford, Chevy, or GMC. I would definantely recommend the 2005 2500 ctd with the 6 speed H.O. of course.