Skyjacker VS Fabtech

Ramme

Big Blue
I am going to lift my truck and I am wondering what lift is better. I have a 98 Dodge Ram 1/2 ton. I will be running 285 or 315 tires. Here's the question. I can get a Fabtech 3.5 inch lift for about $650 or I can get a 3 inch skyjacker for about $550 or $600. So what is better. Who is more reliable, who makes better parts, ETC. Any info is helpful.

Ramme

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Fabtech

Skyjacker

guys, let's actually help the guy out some. Why do you like whichever it is you recommend? What makes it better than the other? How about any personal experience either with the company or with the actual product in question.

I have no experience with fabtech products, but I do have several skyjacker products on my jeep (not susp lift parts). I can say that I'm not terribly impressed with the parts I have (hi clearance belly pan, 'heavy duty' tie rod, steering box skidplate).

I bent the belly pan going over a rock - what's the use of a skid plate if it bends on you?

I snapped the tie rod hitting a rock....

So, I'll have to see and hear some good reports of skyjacker products before i buy one sight unseen.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I put a skyjacker kit on my old F150. Everything in the kit was of high quality for a mass produced kit. It was thier top of the line system with extended radius arms and new rear springs with no blocks and it rides very nice. Every thing fit good and the hardest part of the instal was removing the old stuff. The kit came with every thing I needed except for bushings for the TTB arms. I know that they make several different kits for Dodges so look at what you get. You usually get what you pay for. Don't know anything about Fabtech. Dick Cepek used to make a long arm kit that looked nice.

I like fabtech because it's blue. Blue is better than red.:)

If you want a decent kit you can just go out to South Jordan and pick a kit up from Tuff Country, if you're only giong three inches the kit's are pretty similar, Tuff would be the cheapest for sure and they're high quality. Talk to jared Potter, or scotty.

Last edited:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I put skyjacker on my exploder and it was great, easy install and great ride.

I put fabtech on a friends duramax chevy and it was a nightmare with several parts that had to be returned because they were cut completely wrong.

not a good comparo but I will take the skyjacker thank-you.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Put the Skyjacker 4" on a Dodge 3/4 24V... seemed pretty decent but I think my freind should have done the complete 4" spring int he rear... I hate blocks..and shims for that matter too...

Installed the SkyJacker RR8" on a Xj... Pretty good stuff, my only complaints were a missing part of the instructions that they faxed too us ASAP...

Helped a freind do a Skyjacker/Tera lift on an XJ... all was well there...

Do it right, do it once...say no to blocks...:D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by crimsonride
[QUOTE...say no to blocks...:D

They should have taught us that in elementry school. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I never have been a big fan of blocks, seems like lately I am seeing tons of Powerstrokes with like 6" blocks on top of the factory blocks....SCARY... I guess if used correctly, they might be OK... and spring shims... can be scary too, I saw one break in hald at the hole and spit out the back, causing the axle to become dislocated...:D

Yup, my buddy was lifting his xj so I reluctantly gave him some blocks. I had given him a pair of shims earlier and he bent them so I gave him anther set of shims. I didn't like giving him blocks in the first place but he insisted. Some people just don't take my advice for what it's worth. So anyway, I told him not to use any of the shims or blocks with anther pair, not to double stack them. But nooooo...don't listen to chris. What does he know? So we go wheelin at little moab and he follows me up this one particularly easy slab of rock (where's the 69 is painted). He got almost to the top but then his axle torqued forward into the wheelwell. I look at it and what did I see? BOTH set of shims AND the blocks(which are shimmed too), so he had his axle attatched to his springs with this flimsy wacked banana shaped stack of blocks. It pressed the driveshaft into the T-case. Fortunately it didn't do too much damage and he was able to limp home. My point...some people just don't know the do's and dont's of lifting a truck. It's best to just leave it to those who do.

And say no to blocks.

P

pokeyYJ

I work with a guy that has a Fabtech on his Dodge 1/2 ton, I think that it is the 6 inch one though, but it seems really high quality and rides great, BTW it is a long arm kit, He has a 3" body with that suspension and some 37" MT/R's. Looks great!

tv_larsen

They both seem to be well liked. I've always liked Skyjacker. I have an 8" Skyjacker system on my '75 Dodge, and 2" Skyjacker coils on my '99 Ram.

What ever you get, make sure you get the "System" that includes the rear springs, and not just blocks and add-a-leaves.

Caleb

well when I put my Skyjacker RR kit on my YJ the instructions sucked...it basically read as "Install Lift, have a great day" although lifts aren't hard to put on YJs this one was screwy because it was missing half the bolts and all the bushings...I called skyjacker and they said it wasn;t their problem I needed to talk to the place I bought it from...rather than hassling with Jack-It I just went and bought new hardware...Skyjackers CS sucked IMO...