Slackline?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I'm thinking of setting up a slackline for my boys. I don't have big trees so I was thinking about cementing posts into my garden and then running the line over the lawn. I doubt my boys weigh enough at this point (8 and 3) for this to be an issue. I'm not sure whether it could support me though. The safety sallys online seem to think you have to bury Cadillac to support a slackline.

Have any of you tree huggers played with a slackline and have an opinion? Have one collecting dust? Want to watch me fall down?

I'm also still looking for a utility pole I can use for a zipline...

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I dated a vegan chick once in college she took me to a drum circle at Liberty park and I tried slackline. I don't think they had pipes cemented in the ground.

I might try a 3" cargo rachet strap for cheap.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
We use car tie down straps at camp sometimes. They work fine. I think a pole in the ground is more than sufficient.

Gawynz

I have a new, in box, mint condition slackline that I got as a gift when I was in college and never used. I live in North Ogden but it's all yours if you want it. I wouldn't say I'm a slaxpert but I'm no stranger to the slack, at least 10 years ago haha. My opinion is it's a lot of fun with friends and a great activity for developing coordination/balance. I typically don't put a lot of personal info on the interwebs and I'm feeling a bit vulnerable about admitting slacklining and the accompanying stereotypes... I also like steak and beer and responsible OHV recreation ha.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I remember sitting with friends in Presidents Circle between classes watching the slacktards and making bets on how quickly they'd fall on their ass/face. Its was highly entertaining for about 10 minutes and made me feel superior.

They're probably all lawyers and CEO's now while I just swap out DIMM's for a living...

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I have a new, in box, mint condition slackline that I got as a gift when I was in college and never used. I live in North Ogden but it's all yours if you want it. I wouldn't say I'm a slaxpert but I'm no stranger to the slack, at least 10 years ago haha. My opinion is it's a lot of fun with friends and a great activity for developing coordination/balance. I typically don't put a lot of personal info on the interwebs and I'm feeling a bit vulnerable about admitting slacklining and the accompanying stereotypes... I also like steak and beer and responsible OHV recreation ha.
That would be awesome. I'm not sure about getting up to n Ogden though. I have a coworker in Riverdale. Maybe I could trick him into coming to get it. Or maybe just drive up there myself.

My youngest turns 3 on Sunday. He is super wiggly. I'm just trying to think of things we can do or set up that he and his (almost 8) brother can do to get some energy out. The older one is kind of a wimp and is pretty weak which I take full responsibility for. My thoughts was it could be something fairly low cost I could set up and they could play on without much risk of getting hurt at home while also maybe gaining some motor skills and core strength. I'm probably wrong about all that but it sounds good to me.

The only thing I think about slackline is the kid that died when he got clotheslined with one at usu while biking down a hill.

Edit link: https://www.hjnews.com/news/usu-stu...f929f098-0eab-11e3-88c4-0019bb2963f4.amp.html

Last edited:

Tonkaman

I got my daughter a slack line when she was little. I’ve set it up in the yard, but it mostly gets used while out camping.

Your little ones won’t have any issue with simple cemented likes, but I garuntee that it’s an issue for adults. I have always been amazed how much leverage is created by stepping on the step. I gave up on trying to keep enough tension for my weight.

1969honda

Supporting Member
If you want utility poles just go into your local Rocky Mountain Power office and ask them who to talk to. We have people in the warehouses that can authorize giving the used ones away. Sometimes they'll be in really good shape and you wonder why they even replaced it. Others
times that are beyond wore out or burned to a crisp. I watched a guy pull in with two 30'+ goosenecks looking for poles to use on his ranch one morning and ask about getting some. The warehouse workers proceeded to load up both trailers and send him on his way at no cost to him.

The lineman bring in the poles they have replaced after a job, and if the yard is full, they cut the poles up with chain saws. Then they throw them in a big roll off dumpster. The company actually saves money if they give them away.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
If you want utility poles just go into your local Rocky Mountain Power office and ask them who to talk to. We have people in the warehouses that can authorize giving the used ones away. Sometimes they'll be in really good shape and you wonder why they even replaced it. Others
times that are beyond wore out or burned to a crisp. I watched a guy pull in with two 30'+ necks looking for pole to use on his ranch one morning and ask about getting some. The warehouse workers proceeded to load up both trailers and send him on his way at no cost to him.

The lineman bring in the poles they have replaced after a job, and if the yard is full, they cut the poles up with chain saws. Then they throw them in a big roll off dumpster. The company actually saves money if they give them away.

Great intel!

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
times that are beyond wore out or burned to a crisp. I watched a guy pull in with two 30'+ necks looking for pole to use on his ranch one morning and ask about getting some. The warehouse workers proceeded to load up both trailers and send him on his way at no cost to him.

Where is a yard in the Salt Lake/West Valley area?

1969honda

Supporting Member
Off California Avenue and 3300 West is the Wasatch Restoration Center for the majority of the salt lake valley. The main Utah dock/headquarters is on north temple just east of redwood. The other one is in South Jordan about 122nd south just west of I-15.