SLC: The next great vegan city

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Agreed. Alcohol, Chips N Salsa and a cold glass of milk are non-negotiable for me. Not giving it up.

I think quinoa is the main source of protein for vegans. Not bad if prepared well. I once went to vertical diner for breakfast, not realizing it was a vegan only diner. Everything but the pancakes were pretty bland. I then understood why vegans were so odd.

Lastly, have you ever noticed how out of shape and overweight a lot vegans and vegetarians are?

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Just got off a keto diet... greatest diet ever for a meat eater!

I'm not against vegans... but that's just way too much work.

I did that last summer for a couple months. Did you get bad b.o.? My pits were overpowering my deodorant badly while on the diet. I always wondered if that was a normal side effect. That, and finding copious amounts of lettuce in my poo after eating a salad...

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Turkey bacon... isn't bacon. Bacon requires pigs. Turkeys are not pigs.

Kiel ended this thread at Post #10. What is wrong with you people.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
This is silly. Caloric intake vs calories burned, just like anyone else.

I don't know that it's that silly. I would agree that many of the vegan's I know are, at the very least, soft. Physically active people, especially people who train regularly, require a certain amount of protein to sustain muscle recovery and growth. For men, it's close to 1 gram per lb of lean body weight. For someone like me (I'm 6'2", 190 lbs), when I'm training for triathlon or something I try to get in about 150-160 grams of protein per day. If I don't, I feel weak and less energetic. For women, it's roughly half that and I know a couple of girls who train for figure competitions that are vegetarian, and have a terrible time finding a nutritionist that can come up with a diet plan to supply their body with the necessary protein without any meats.

I'm by not means a nutritionist, and I certainly don't know much about vegan diet and their sources of protein, but from what I do know I'm not sure where a vegan would come up with that much protein without grazing in a quinoa or soy field 20 hours per day. Thus my rationale for why most of the vegan's I know are a little on the soft side (that's not to say they can't be slender--per your "calorie in calorie out theory"), but they certainly don't seem to carry the musculature that would indicate they are in really good physical shape.

Last edited:

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
You've never been downwind of a turkey farm, I guess? :rofl:

Please, I was driving through ND and there were turkey farms lining the frewway for miles... it was bad. Keep in mind that turkeys don't naturally live on farms and pigs are naturally unclean animals.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
I don't know that it's that silly. I would agree that many of the vegan's I know are, at the very least, soft. Physically active people, especially people who train regularly, require a certain amount of protein to sustain muscle recovery and growth. For men, it's close to 1 gram per lb of lean body weight. For someone like me (I'm 6'2", 190 lbs), when I'm training for triathlon or something I try to get in about 150-160 grams of protein per day. If I don't, I feel weak and less energetic. For women, it's roughly half that and I know a couple of girls who train for figure competitions that are vegetarian, and have a terrible time finding a nutritionist that can come up with a diet plan to supply their body with the necessary protein without any meats.

I'm by not means a nutritionist, and I certainly don't know much about vegan diet and their sources of protein, but from what I do know I'm not sure where a vegan would come up with that much protein without grazing in a quinoa or soy field 20 hours per day. Thus my rationale for why most of the vegan's I know are a little on the soft side (that's not to say they can't be slender--per your "calorie in calorie out theory"), but they certainly don't seem to carry the musculature that would indicate they are in really good physical shape.

How much protein is needed? Many of the primates who we are supposed to be hairless versions of are more muscular than the biggest meat eaters among us. What I said was silly was the claim that vegans a fat.... meat eaters are too for all the same reasons.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Absolutely there are more fat meat eaters than vegans/vegetarians, but that is just population based. Unfortunately people seem to be predisposed to a sedentary lifestyle, so they don't burn nearly as many calories as they should. As far as how much protein is necessary, that depends on how much lean muscle you have and how active you are. Certainly Brock Lesnar can justify the 300 grams of protein he takes in daily because he's a 300+ lb mountain of a man who trains 4-6 hours per day. The common 200 lb guy with 150 lbs of lean weight that doesn't do anything besides go to work can probably get away with much less--like 50 grams--but that doesn't mean they are going to be healthy.

Unlike chimpanzee's and other primates that we are genetically similar too, we now live a more stationary lifestyle. We don't have to run and climb 24 hours per day to feed ourselves and escape from larger carnivores. Besides, chimps are our closest relatives and they do hunt meat (other smaller primates, squirrels, etc), and even with that I'm not entirely sure any comparison to the diet of a wild animal and that of a modern human is very fair.

if I spent my life climbing trees and instead of typing, I would be far more muscular as well.

Last edited:

Jeepj667

I recommend watching "Forks over Knives". Quite a compelling documentary.

We are trying to change our eating to see if we notice any benefit. Can't hurt to try.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I have no problem with vegans...when it becomes a religion that is preached by the one practicing it...then I get annoyed. Preaching...in any form is annoying.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Most people have learned by now; besides, Kurt's my Ace.

Wait a second... your my RIO :D

top_gun_goose_and_maverick.jpg

Goody

I did that last summer for a couple months. Did you get bad b.o.? My pits were overpowering my deodorant badly while on the diet. I always wondered if that was a normal side effect. That, and finding copious amounts of lettuce in my poo after eating a salad...

Not bad b.o. but god awful breath! And the weird metallic taste in my mouth.