Sleeping bag storage

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
Spent 4 nights in a row over the weekend/beginning of this week up in the mountains in the tent. I absolutely love my sleeping bag, (I got it as a prize in a company party) it has never ever gave me a single cold chill no matter how cold it has been out at night. I think it's rated to -32°? Or maybe just 0 F°, either way it's very warm.

The only problem is, it's huge. It's advertised as "family" however I find it fits me quite comfortably haha. People often mistakingly refer to it as multiple sleeping bags because of its size. I wanna say it's probably about 50" wide and when it isn't compressed (free-loft?) it is probably about 7"-8" thick.

Do do I need one this big? Absolutely not. Do I feel like giving it up? Absolutely not.

It it never came with a stuff-sack or even ties to roll it up, but even rolled up it would be huge.

Many question is; how bad is it to extremely compress sleeping bags? Like vacuum storage. I can get vacuum storage bags large enough to fit in into two bags (sleeping bag unzips into a top half and bottom half) and with the extra room I could easily pack in one of those manual vacuum pumps.

Yay-nay?

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
47E58B5F-ED6E-49B2-999F-837038FB3F62_zpsgakyhqgq.jpg

DAA

Compression is never good for insulation. Long term storage compresses is downright bad for it. I think down suffers more than synthetic from it, but even synthetic will lose some loft and insulation value from long term compression.

Short term, just for travelling, I don't think it would hurt a thing.

My car camping bag is pretty huge too. I roll it up and put it in a canvas bag from Kirkhams that is made for holding a large Springbar tent. Just the right size for my huge bag. It takes up twice as much room in the Jeep as my Springbar does :D. I like it though.

- DAA

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Throw it in an action packer not in the stuff sack, stack it with the rest of your gear. That's how I store mine, good, bad dunno but that's what I do.

ID Bronco

Great topic, I use the action packer, cheaper rubbermaid tote method. I especially like it if it's stored in a garage or other mouse possible area.

But - does anyone know where I could get the hangers the stores use to display bags? I'm sure someone on here could make them, if so how much? Or are they available somewhere? I think hanging it is the very best option.

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
I lay all my bags (synthetic and down) under beds. I DO NOT keep them stuffed - was told it causes premature breakdown of the insulation.

sixstringsteve

I've heard a couple things about long-term compression (storing it in its stuff sack).

For synthetics, it's bad for it. The material breaks down over time.

For low quality down, it's bad for it (I'm referring to down that uses feathers, not clusters)

For high quality down, not bad at all.

Supposedly the super high quality down bags don't suffer even from vacuum-sealing and cinching (aside from the fact that it takes a while to loft). Now, if you're vacuum-sealing it and cinching it down into the tiniest ball possible, it's extra bad. How bad? Who knows. It's probably one of those things where it may be worth just doing whatever you want, and replacing it down the road in 5-10 years if it's lost its loft.

Good reading here:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi...ums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=37074

Last edited:

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
Good info.

For the term of storage that I was intending was pretty much long term. My idea with this camp trailer is to have it as close to "hook up and go" anytime as possible. The amount of extra room I have mainly depends on if I have one dirt-bike or two in the trailer. One and there is oodles of room for an action packer. Two, less so.

Im assuming the majority of my camp time will be one dirt bike.

DAA

I've been using the same car camping bag for 17 years now (bought it at the same time as my small Springbar). And I don't plan on replacing it in the next 2-5 years :D.

- DAA

sixstringsteve

But you're not vacuum packing it in between trips, right? I think if you leave it in a big ol' bag uncompressed it should last a VERY long time.

DAA

But you're not vacuum packing it in between trips, right? I think if you leave it in a big ol' bag uncompressed it should last a VERY long time.

Exactly. Meaning, if it meant I'd have to buy a new bag every few years, "I" wouldn't do it :). But, when I find something I like and that holds up to the rigors of my use, I get attached to it and want to keep it around as long as possible. Flip side, if I don't like it or it doesn't hold up, well, don't let the garbage can lid hit you in the butt...

- DAA

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I just got a new Big Agnes bag last night, and was pleasantly surprised that it came with two storage bags, a small stuff sack and a larger mesh bag for storing it uncompressed when not camping.

sixstringsteve

I love it when companies do that. Is the big one a linen bag? Usually companies will have the big bag be linen to allow it to breathe a bit more.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I love it when companies do that. Is the big one a linen bag? Usually companies will have the big bag be linen to allow it to breathe a bit more.

It's all mesh, similar to a laundry bag. You can see the sleeping bag through it. I've only had this a day, but I love having a bag that's relatively light, warm, and fits me so I don't feel claustrophobic.