Sleeping bags?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I disagree with any alcoholic consumption before bed if it is to stay warm. if it just helps you sleep better than great.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I disagree with any alcoholic consumption before bed if it is to stay warm. if it just helps you sleep better than great.

I know the science behind it, but a tall shot of Jager sure proves quite the opposite medicinal effect just before you climb into bed. A warming sensation that cannot otherwise be described. :rofl:

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
I know the science behind it, but a tall shot of Jager sure proves quite the opposite medicinal effect just before you climb into bed. A warming sensation that cannot otherwise be described. :rofl:

I can't say that I agree with the Jager but some nice Captain Morgans helps me stay warm through the night :)

anyhow I agree Dry Socks and clothes are where it is at no matter what rating your sleeping bag is :)

Also proper storage of your sleeping bag makes a huge difference.. if you store it in its stuff bag it will begin loosing its loft quickly.. when at home you should hang it up or store it in a unconfined manner in a dry area of course.. and when on the trail to more time you can leave your bag open during the day to dry out the warmer it will be

ZUKEYPR

Spending 21 years worth in the Army I can tell you the secret to keeping warm isn't the bag. First you need large caloric intake just prior to calling it a night. If you don't have this the body isn't generating any heat so the bag has no heat to keep in. Second, you shouldn't be wearing clothes in the bag only your shorts, a beenie and socks. The head and feet is where over 80% of your bodies heat escapes. Next the bag, get one with good draft tubes, spindrift tubes around the shoulder and a good hood that cinches down tight. The best brand out there is Western Mountaineering. Have a good pad underneath. I would suggest the alaskin expedition pad from Cabelos but it just delaminated on me on my last trip to The Maze. I myself finally after 47 years of doing without bought a blackcat tent heater on my last trip. The last night in the Swell the wind was howling about 40mph it was 27 degrees out and I ended up sleeping on top of my bag. Last, if you bought a cheap tent that builds up condensation you're more than likely going to be miserable anyway.

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
Second, you shouldn't be wearing clothes in the bag only your shorts, a beenie and socks.

This seems counterintuitive and I know alot of people that don't agree with this but I've heard it often (I don't know either way) . Care to share the reasoning behind it?

The head and feet is where over 80% of your bodies heat escapes.

Source?

Not trying to be a :cody:, just tryin to learn. :hickey:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Wearing other clothing to bed is only bad if a few things happen. If it constricts any blood flow. If it makes you fat enough that your bags insulation gets compressed more than it should. If you went to bed in the clothes you were wearing all day(no matter what people think they are wet if you wore them around). If your bag is too loose it is a good idea to put on a few of the right layers.
I agree completely with the calories and the beanie thing. The best hat I have ever seen for sleeping is a head cocoon. It is filled with down or high quality synthetic. It is like a balaclava made of a puffy coat. It has some elastic straps that go under your armpits. Many ultralighters use them to extend the season of the quilt they use.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
SOO I thought I would update what I found and did. I ended up getting a synthetic mummy style bag made by High Peak that was rated at -15 degree (Thanks Mesha!). I felt it was the best compromise for weight, warmth (meaning thickness of the bag) and price. I got to test it out this past weekend in the swell. I slept in a full body thermal underwear and fresh socks. The first night I slept on a foam pad and the temperature got down to 22*. I didn't get cold but wasn't cozy enough to sleep well. The second night I slept on my foam pad with a thermarest type air mattress on top of it. The temp. got down to 13* and slept very well and was never cold. SO my next purchase will be a better pad to sleep on and I will be set.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
double pads is the way to go when the temps drop.
Glad to hear you didn't try the house insulation thing he he.

spencevans

Overlander
Some how I find time to spend several weeks every year backpacking in the High Uinta's and by far the best bag I have come across for a decent price is the Campmor Down sleeping bags. They are rectangular which gives you alot more room and it makes it so the bag can be mated to another bag. This is great, because you can have a true queen sized sleeping bag for you and your significant other. They make several different tempuratue bags to suit your needs. Personally I use the 20 degree bag for everything and that includes when it -20 outside in the dead of winter. Also it only wieghs 2 pounds, it's gorgeous.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40071

The trick to sleeping warm has alot more to do with the pad than the bag itself. I have tried alot of different pads over the years and one stands head and should over the rest. It's the Exped Downmat 9 DLX. It's amazing. This is not your POS thermorest pad. This is the same pad that they use on MT Everest. It's good for temps upto -38F. The downside is they cost around $179 a piece, but it is soooo comfy and worth it and I weigh over 300 lbs.

http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage.nsf/0/E9747A9C9CD626BCC1256F2B00296698?opendocument