Sleeving the uni-body question

Geepfreak

I'm here.
Going to sleeve the unibody today, for those that have done it, I will be welding 1//4" channel to the "frame". My question is, what would be better for welding, use a MIG or Arc. If you prefer Arc, what size rod would you suggest.

Thanks.

kirby

I thought that you could only spot weld it because going from 1/4" to the thin crap on the cherokee you will burn through it too easy. I might be wrong though.

Caleb

kirby said:
I thought that you could only spot weld it because going from 1/4" to the thin crap on the cherokee you will burn through it too easy. I might be wrong though.

you can weld beads on that just fine...you just gotta know how to do it...

honestly, I would use MIG...reason being is you dont have to worry about penetration too much when welding to the thin unibody. Why are you gong with 1/4"? I would think 3/16" would be more than enough, most factory frames are only 1/8"...1/4" is harder to work with and is a ton of extra weight.

Geepfreak

I'm here.
Going with 1/4" because I am going to be using radius arms, feel like I need to have that type of strength.
Thanks for the replies..

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Supergper said:
you can weld beads on that just fine...you just gotta know how to do it...

honestly, I would use MIG...reason being is you dont have to worry about penetration too much when welding to the thin unibody. Why are you gong with 1/4"? I would think 3/16" would be more than enough, most factory frames are only 1/8"...1/4" is harder to work with and is a ton of extra weight.
Ditto, ditto, and ditto. 1/4" is too much.

Caleb

Hickey said:
Barely enough would be 1/8". Welding 1/4" to 16 gauge unibody is overkill.

yep, not to mention that its 25% MORE weight than 3/16" and twice the weight of 1/8"...now tell me its not that much extra weight...plus as I said before, 1/4" is a PITA to work with no matter what toys you have ;)

What are you wearing?
Supergper said:
yep, not to mention that its 25% MORE weight than 3/16" and twice the weight of 1/8"...now tell me its not that much extra weight...plus as I said before, 1/4" is a PITA to work with no matter what toys you have ;)

I think all together the sleeving added 10 to 15 lbs. I dont think that is too much wieght.