Smog and Inspection HELP

Greg W

Rock Slut
Hey Guys
It's about time for me to make my annual trip back to Utah from Kalifornia to get my truck smogged and inspected. Very sadly, the great guy I went to for years was tragically killed in a motorcycle accident last year. :( He was one of these guys that was very "understanding" of my truck.
Now I need to find someone else who is "understanding" of our types of vehicles. Any help you guys can provide me through any recomendations would be greatly appreciated (preferably in Salt Lake or Utah county).

Greg

ace

Parts Collector
My guy got stung with a ticket, so he's not so understanding anymore. The state has been cracking down on inspectors lately so good luck finding one. :ugh:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
It is an understanding that we DO NOT talk about this subject on this board. If you want to talk about it, it will not be public. Discussing someone who "Helps" you out can get them in serious trouble...DO NOT name names or even shops...

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
How about a thread naming shops that fail rigs that really should pass, or really nit pick every little detail? At least people will know where not to go.

Greg W

Rock Slut
spencurai said:
It is an understanding that we DO NOT talk about this subject on this board. If you want to talk about it, it will not be public. Discussing someone who "Helps" you out can get them in serious trouble...DO NOT name names or even shops...

Good point. How about a PM? I do have some good character references ;)

mbryson said:
What are you having trouble passing?

It's mostly nit picky stuff like no fender flares on the front or no horn. My emmissions pass every year no problem.

bobdog said:
How about a thread naming shops that fail rigs that really should pass, or really nit pick every little detail? At least people will know where not to go.

I really like this idea!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Greg W said:
.......It's mostly nit picky stuff like no fender flares on the front or no horn. My emmissions pass every year no problem.

That's easy. Put some fender flares on that you can remove quickly and wire up a horn. Horn buttons are available at Napa for $15 or so and next time you're in the junkyard grab a horn out of an old Caddy or Lincoln. They're usually pretty loud.

I've got some extended YJ flares that I'm not going to use. You could rig up 'quick disconnect' type thing for the flares and you're good to go. I'd rather have it legal and not get 'hassled' by JohnnyLaw.

Most shops will let a couple 'minor' infractions go (esp. if you are a regular customer), but if they get a reputation or whatever it will affect their livelihood as they'll get their inspection license revoked. The laws we have really aren't that bad. Why do we have to 'dodge' them all the time?

DevinB

I like traffic lights
bobdog said:

Stay the hell away from Jiffy Lube. I used to take my dad's cars there at his request (the one I speak of is on 8th north and state in Orem) and everytime, I sh!t you not, EVERY TIME they failed the car because of bad window wipers. Then they'd hit you up, saying that for X amount of dollars they'd hook you up with these new spiffy ones... musta been a spiff from the wiper company, for every pair you sell you get a star on your forehead. :rolleyes:

Brad J

DevinB said:
Stay the hell away from Jiffy Lube...... Then they'd hit you up, saying that for X amount of dollars they'd hook you up with these new spiffy ones... musta been a spiff from the wiper company, for every pair you sell you get a star on your forehead. :rolleyes:

That is how they make their $$, Don't let your wife take her car in to them when you are overdue on the oil change with no time to do it yourself. She came home w/ a big list of everything that they wanted to replace on the car and they replaced a few things that were just bairly replaced. :( :mad2:

-Brad

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Brad J said:
That is how they make their $$, Don't let your wife take her car in to them when you are overdue on the oil change with no time to do it yourself. She came home w/ a big list of everything that they wanted to replace on the car and they replaced a few things that were just bairly replaced. :( :mad2:

-Brad

They try to get me to buy stuff all the time too, and they're really pretty good with their system. They tell you all the scheduled maintainance items that the factory recommends for your car, and they offer to do them for you. All the stuff is legit, they don't make it up. It's just kind of an eye opener to realize how much stuff you need to do to your car to keep it running properly. So I let them tell me what needs to be done, politely decline their offer to do it for a rediculous amount, and do it myself!