Snakes 11-28

Bucking Bronco

Should be lots of pics coming there were lots of people with cameras

This is me attempting Wayne's World Backwards with no rear drive line

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zrohFMwqluc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zrohFMwqluc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Attachments

• 100_1943.jpg
    100_1943.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 100_1958.jpg
    100_1958.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 100_1940.jpg
    100_1940.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 100_1966.jpg
    100_1966.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Meat_

Banned
Your driveline is in Cheston's truck

You definitely know how to put on a show :)

Trex is impressive in person.... It's the first thing I've seen crawl WW when it was wet.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
So today a bunch of us ran the Snakes: me, Meat(riding shotgun w/me), Richpblaze(3-wheeling), BuckingBronco(in his break-apart buggy-- more later), Spruiett(T-Rex 6x6), ChestonScout(TTC Scout), 774x4ram(on the KTM, and shooting video, POST UP!!), maquet24(in the Isuzu buggy), Byron (huge TTC Wagoneer, 52's and a 455, woot), and assorted others whose names I didn't get. Sorry guys! :D

After the usual parking lot BS and dilly-dallying, we took off and headed up. Something is seriously wrong with my transmission-- so it was kind of frustrating for me, but in low range all was well so I kept on keeping on. We all enjoyed the Rattlesnake obstacles up until the stairsteps....

... which is where Bucking Bronco, after walking up the far right line in his driveway-built buggy, headed up the rock outcropping to the far left. After a few attempts, he made it-- but not until he screwed the driver's front about 5' in the air, which made us all scramble out of the way of what looked like a roll about to happen... but it didn't. The lovely Danielle excused herself from the vehicle, after we winched the seat cover out of her butt, and watched the rest of the hijinks from the sidelines. She's a good sport, but did not enjoy the adrenaline dump. Video will be posted to YouTube by one of the attendees. Unsatisfied with that thrilling conquest, BuckingBronco decided, at the peanut gallery's urging, to drive it in reverse. So he did. :D I was on hand to supply an unused wheel stud to fix his rear limit... chain.

Around this time, Cheston's Scout started earning it's new nicknames: The Hesitation Buggy, The International Stumblemobile... I forget a few of them. Engine gremlins are still working against our intrepid Cheston. Perservere!!! When it was running, it did awesome, and while I am not a Scout guy, really, I think it looks awesome.

Stan Prueitt's 6x6 T-Rex Dodge walked over everything with ease, partly due to the 6 wheels, and partly due to the wheelbase... It was pretty sweet seeing the big green monster out there today.

Byron's enormous tires were rolling over pretty much everything.

At the tailings pile climb, I discovered some issues and barely crept up the hill. BuckingBronco hammered the big climb, and lost a rear u-joint almost right at the top. Jokingly, he asked me for more spare parts, in the form of a rear shaft this time... and surprisingly, I actually did have a rear shaft in the back of the Blazer, but it was too small. :rofl: While I checked out my transmission, everyone else rolled up, and Steve got busy removing his rear shaft to finish the trail in FWD only. This sounded great but didn't really work out for him as it turned out....
Rich was up ahead wondering where the hell the rest of us were....

And then we got to Wayne's World. :eek:

Maquet24 got no love from the slop at the bottom, and slid around for a while until admitting defeat. It's a tough climb in the muck.
BuckingBronco, having lost his rear driveline, decided to try and ride it out anyway. Going forward wasn't getting him anywhere, so he decided to back up Wayne's World. Might have worked, too... except that while violently manhandling the bump, a front inner axleshaft let go, breaking the ears off, snapping the joint, and popping the drive flange about an inch out of the hub. :eek: Sparks flew, it was awesome. He winched himself down, and that was the end of his day. :( I want him on every trail I'm on, it was fun to watch him and his attitude is to be commended.
Stan's enormous Dodge went, and after searching a bit for the right line, successfully made it up. Surprisingly, he managed to lift a tire on the UPPER ledge. Usually it's the start of the thing that's the exciting part! Rich gave it a shot but in 3-wheel drive, it was no good.

So some of us went home, the rest headed up to Constrictor. Meat talked me out of trying it today (THANK YOU, well my doors thank you)... so we walked it and took some pics. Radiator Rapids looked ugly this time, fangier and nasty! Stan had some length-related hassle there, but made it up just fine. Byron's 52's spanked the Rapids like they weren't even there. Just up and over. Maquet24 and Rich were already up at the Nest waiting for us... Cheston's rig rolled up with Mrs.Scout driving, and taking a pretty exciting line high and to the right, until the Stumblemobile reared it's shiny chrome head again, sending her reeling backwards w/no power. Not much drama, just a surprised shout and lots of laughing. :D

I walked up to the Nest to see Maquet24 on top ("I just drove right up... " rrriiiiiight... ;) ), Rich off to the side, and few TJ/XJ's parked eerily on the hill to the left. Park pawls don't fail me now!!! :eek:

Right as the T-Rex sallied up to the bar, my camera battery crapped out. :mad: So no pics of the action. After much, much struggling, stacking, backing, gassing, bumping, flooring, turning, slipping, sliding, and general malarkey, there was no Win, just Fail. I believe Stan said that was the first obstacle he has been defeated by, so if so, NEST 1 T-REX 0 Woot! He did manage to break the Nest though-- so 36pts for that.

At this point my kids were cold and I was hungry and worried about my transmission, and also a couple hours late, so we bailed. Don't know how Cheston and Byron did, hope to hear about it.
It was a pleasure to see some old faces and meet some new ones, and I hope to see you all on the trail again in the spring... or next weekend if the weather holds and I can fix the !$##% Blazer again.
pics coming, but there's a lot so hold on.

Bucking Bronco

My carnage report for today

rear U-Joint
Front shaft and joint
Drive flange failure (fixable)
Aluminum tank made a total of 3 trips before the welds cracked (I have a slightly used tank for sale;))

Things I learned
I need a rear pinion yoke guard
Adjust rear pinion angle
Chromo front shafts
new fuel tank

But most of all I need to take the weights out of my right shoe

Meat_

Banned
After Stan finally got the T-rex's nose up on the nest he came very close to getting up several times

...which made us all scramble out of the way of what looked like a roll about to happen... but it didn't....

I didn't move an inch -_-

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Yeah, that's true. Cool Hand Luke here didn't move a muscle. I had memories of Sue on Hell's Revenge.... :rofl: "Okay, calm down... turn, and give it some gas, we're not gonna roll...."

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Stan's big green Dodge

DSC02763 (Medium).jpg

Byron's bigger Wagoneer

DSC02764 (Medium).jpg

Cheston's Scout

DSC02766 (Medium).jpg
T-Rex, up the steps

DSC02772 (Medium).jpg

The International Stumblemobile, immobilized by fuel delivery issues or something. Looks good though. :D

DSC02770 (Medium).jpg

BuckingBronco's buggy, still intact here

DSC02768 (Medium).jpg

Maquet24 heading up

DSC02784 (Medium).jpg

Steve's SECOND attempt-- note the empty passenger seat.. :rofl:

DSC02794 (Medium).jpg

and here, he goes up backwards

DSC02799 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:

maquet24

Sweet day! Thanks for the recap Tacoma. The drive down sucked a bit though without my ram assist. I busted the heim off right before the rapids.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Cheston feeling it out

DSC02801 (Medium).jpg

The Fryolator going for the gold

DSC02804 (Medium).jpg

Freakin' huge tires

DSC02806 (Medium).jpg

This might help w/the scale-- they're huge

DSC02812 (Medium).jpg

About .3sec before he broke it

DSC02816 (Medium).jpg

...like this! Cool orange sparks flew, crunching was heard. Outers ok though!

DSC02817 (Medium).jpg

Wow. I haven't seen this before

DSC02818 (Medium).jpg

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
The unusually thrilling exit of T-Rex, luckily Cheston was there to keep the rubber side down. ;)

DSC02841 (Medium).jpg

Again, the tires they are large, yes? But not big enough to beat the muck

DSC02855 (Medium).jpg

The Hesitation Buggy looking strong, but the muck beat it too

DSC02859 (Medium).jpg

Cheston's Scout at the start of Constrictor

DSC02876 (Medium).jpg

battery died about 5 minutes later, that's all you get. :(

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
SO after Stan gave up his first attempt at the nest, Byron tried.....No luck so I thought for fun I would give the Scout a try. I had to turn around anyways.....right?

Well first attempt was close but the motor stumbled (big surprise) Got a few rocks stacked and let her sit for a minute then. DROVE UP THE NEST!!!! It was fun! But that meant Stan had to try again.....Cant let a stupid Scout with a bad motor beat the almighty T REX. Unfortunatly he had the same result. SO close but just didnt happen so he hooked the winch up. Byron's kids had enough so he turned around and me and Stan finished the trail. Stan bent a wheel and lost air so he had to beat it back into position and rely on his CO2 to filler back up.

It was a SWEET day. Even if the Scout wouldnt stay running and had no power. I had a lot of fun and it was cool to see/meet everyone.

I decided Im done messing with this motor. The 460 that I had built for my Mustang is going in! Should have about 100 more horse than this motor (when it was running right, about 300 more than it had today) Should make for a good winter project.

Thanks to everyone that came! I will try to get some pics on soon

Bucking Bronco

I was looking a little closer at my rear yoke and the tab that holds the u-joint cap in, is completly sheared off.

so I think I must have come down on the driveline just right and punched out the cap just enough to break the tab, then the cap worked its way out of the u-bolt and then it all went bad.

Here is the good side
100_1980.jpg

and here is the side with the missing tab
100_1972.jpg