Snakes on Cinco De Mayo (05 May 2013)

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Sombreros were out and the taste of tequila rolled off our lips.... NOT... We just met up with a few friends to go wheeling on Sunday and to scout a new area of trail in the open OHV area of 5mile pass. We had a great time and I was glad to have met some cool new people out at the Snakes.

We started by taking our time in the beginning of the trial and then spent most of the day scouting the new area that was dubbed sidewinder and then a couple of us proceeded to run constrictor. All in all a great day of dry weather and sunshine in the canyon. I picked up a few pieces of trash, but all in all the trail looked clean.

IMG_6010.jpgIMG_6012.jpgIMG_6020.jpg
IMG_6015.jpg
100_1967.jpg100_1968.jpg

100_1989.jpg

100_1973.jpg100_1976.jpg100_1979.jpg

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
We need more info on this sidewinder business

yes so is that a legit trail?

Like it has been said this "trail" is still kind of in development. It is legit as it branches off of the one part of Rattlesnake that is open travel on BLM land. As far as the trail is concerned it needs more work and needs to be established before any kind of GPS get posted about it, if we told people exactly what and where this is at this point it would only end up in people driving all over the hill side and that's not what we want.

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Exactly what Brian said, its so close right now, lets finish it off right. I guess I will officially come out and say it though.... YES the new trail is legit, but it needs to be marked and it will require a bit of development amongst private groups first so everyone knows where they are going. Its a cool trail, its not easy that's for sure and its fully in the open OHV area of 5mile pass (even more so than your other favorite trails)! The best part is that its very close to rattlesnake and can be run in conjuncture and has a service road out if shit goes bad on your rig. I did get to see a large snake up there too while we were there soooo, beware! I fully recommend you get on google earth and look thru the 5mile pass Open OHV maps and carry a printout of the maps with you so you are setting a good example of doing your homework before you go and can talk intelligently if you are asked why you are driving where you are!IMG_6048.jpg100_1999.jpgView attachment 81994100_2003.jpg100_2011.jpg100_2018.jpg100_2019.jpgIMG_6044.jpgIMG_6049.jpgIMG_6050.jpgIMG_6051.jpg

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I fully support the strategy, someone just needed to come out and clear the air. Let me know if there is anything I can help with if you want to make a sign or do trail markers or whatever.

ricsrx

Ryan,
looks like a great trial, Saturdays are my only free day, post up the next time you guys are heading up on a saturday i would like to help getting it set up and marked, oh i would also like to run it!

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
good to hear that trails at 5mile are expanding! def need to get some signs up. It'd be a shame to have a great spot like that get closed off due to some enviro-nuts gettin butt-hurt

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I was under the impression that 5 mile pass wasn't an open area anymore, and that it was limited to designated routes anyways. Rattle snake and constrictor technically aren't totally legit anyways, they both criss cross private land

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
You guys should do your homework like others before you go out to wheel then area again or post up here contradicting things without true-er data than we used to get where we got via public maps and google earth while using a handheld GPS! Im not trying to be rude, but I will fight for my rights to recreate in the OPEN OHV areas of 5mile pass and especially while trying to garner support on a public 4x4 forum for crying out loud....jeash you guys grew up here and still have issues knowing where your at... yikes. I used the basic tools like "insert/image overlay" option in google earth, then made it fit by a tweak here and there to fit the main landmarks, fire roads and highways... very clearly you can see Sunshine Canyon, very clearly you can see "snakes"... not a whole lot of investigation is needed to give away the spot identified as Five Mile Pass Riding area close to your favorite trail on private land.

snapshot of what this is:
Snapshot of 5Mile Pass.jpg

OHV designations.png

and the link it came from:
http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/media.../ohv.Par.0009.File.dat/Fivemile_Pass_2007.pdf

From RME post: http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?92433-Is-Snakes-considered-part-of-5MP&highlight=5mile

This map has helped me out a lot lately in order to help distinguish what the open ohv area is at 5 mile pass... take a look and see what ya think in Google Earth. The file called Snakes Trails - 5 Mile Pass.kmz has a transposed BLM map on the trails in google so you know where you’re at for reference.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/gec-sports-hobbies/MO2UVQs3w8Y

You can go to the properties of the picture and choose how much transparency you want to show! From rme post: http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?92433-Is-Snakes-considered-part-of-5MP&highlight=5mile

This map has helped me out a lot lately in order to help distinguish what the open ohv area is at 5 mile pass... take a look and see what ya think in Google Earth. The file called Snakes Trails - 5 Mile Pass.kmz has a transposed BLM map on the trails in google so you know where you’re at for reference.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/gec-sports-hobbies/MO2UVQs3w8Y

You can go to the properties of the picture and choose how much transparency you want to show!

Last edited:

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Believe me I know I'm going out on a limb to by making this a publicly known trail vs my other option which is to take it to underground wheeling only... but that won't help educate other generations of land users understand where they can legally recreate. That's probably what's happened to most of the trails around here the SLC valley that are now closed, people stay quiet, keep them underground, have no legit documentation of it like legacy map... & then watch them get closed when private land ownership takes over or land use groups speak up to keep ya out. Here's a better pic form G-earth: Snakes BLM pic.jpgOHV designations.png

RNandKT

If the Chick Digs it ....
Whats with the guy standing around with his shirt off?

I always wonder when I see someone wheeling without a shirt ... "Doesn't that seat belt chafe a little?"

abhaulr1

Bush Eaters
Good job Ryan, Having you as the "Trail Cord" has paid off with all the research you have done. We are proud to have you as a Bush Eater, and glad your in our 4 wheel drive community. Thank you.

Dwayne Pengilley, Bush Eaters club President.