Northern Utah Snakes on Thursday afternoon, May 22nd

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Count me as a 50/50.

I hope we can see you there. Please keep us updated.

I'd like to do this as well. Stock JKU sport with 17" wheels and craptastic tires.

Great! Don't fret about your Jeep--that is exactly what my co-worker will be driving, right down to the crappy tires. :)

Except now I wanna go haha...

Well, come with us next week!

To all you newbies: if you don't already have one, it would be very helpful to install a CB radio in your vehicle. Even on a simple trail like Rattlesnake, there will be many instances where group communication will be helpful. Without CBs, that means we'll be stopping frequently to get out of our vehicles and talk back and forth. (Yes, we'll be in and out of our vehicles constantly anyway--that's what Jeeping is--but it will happen even more frequently without radios in most/all of the rigs.) Don't go out and buy a handheld CB--while they are nice and portable, they also have much shorter range (particularly when you use them inside your vehicle). Buy a permanent-mount radio and you'll get far better performance; you'll be much more satisfied as a result.

pro510xlg_xlarge.jpg

ricsrx

i need to make a shake down run with Hunters truck befor OSRC, but waiting untill thursday may be pushing it if i have to fix anything...

NChap

To all you newbies: if you don't already have one, it would be very helpful to install a CB radio in your vehicle. Even on a simple trail like Rattlesnake, there will be many instances where group communication will be helpful. Without CBs, that means we'll be stopping frequently to get out of our vehicles and talk back and forth. (Yes, we'll be in and out of our vehicles constantly anyway--that's what Jeeping is--but it will happen even more frequently without radios in most/all of the rigs.) Don't go out and buy a handheld CB--while they are nice and portable, they also have much shorter range (particularly when you use them inside your vehicle). Buy a permanent-mount radio and you'll get far better performance; you'll be much more satisfied as a result.

pro510xlg_xlarge.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I have a CB, antenna, and mic ready to go in the Jeep i just need to buy the coax and adapter for my firefly antenna... I'm just reeeeally lazy.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
So if I'm gone on business until right before we wheel.... Haha. I will be CB-less for this one.

We'll obviously make do as best we can. I threw that out there just in case anyone has been on the fence about installing a CB. I'm hoping I may have pushed them over the edge. ;)

Troop92

We'll obviously make do as best we can. I threw that out there just in case anyone has been on the fence about installing a CB. I'm hoping I may have pushed them over the edge. ;)

I'll see what I can do. Amazon is an option, but being gone wifey would surely open it. I got a rack and new ball-hitch this month already.... :D

NChap

Just curious if anyone will be bringing an SWR meter out as well... My CB has one Im just not sure if I trust it. That being said I'm sitting in the backseat trying to figure out the best possible route for my coax and power supply :D

dash

Another plug for the CB radio- Dempsey and I have Spotteed each other using CBs. It has been the bestinvestment and should be on of the first things you buy. They are super easy to hook up and once tuned it is invaluable.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Where's the best place to get the cb/kit? I was thinking just 4wheelparts.

You could probably get what you need from 4WP. Other options include Amazon.com, any local truck stop, or maybe even Wal-Mart. Quite frankly, the radio itself is mostly irrelevant--whichever entry level unit you choose will function well. I posted a photo of the Uniden Pro510XL because that's what I run, it works great and has held up to years of abuse. Don't let that make you think it's the only one you should use. I'm sure the equivalent Cobra or Midlands CB would be fine, too. For example, many local Wal-Marts stock the Cobra 19 Ultra III, and it has a price of $31.50 (all according to Wally World's web site):

0002837720105_500X500.jpg

If you're going to fret about any part of your CB install, focus on the antenna itself. A quality, tunable antenna will be the difference between having poor range or having excellent range with your CB. Even if you only get a mag mount antenna, try to find one that is tunable. On my Suburban, I have a Wilson mag mount (purchased at the Flying J Travel Plaza in Springville) which I have tuned and it works great.

Better than a mag mount is a "real" permanent antenna, such as the fiberglass ones you often see. This will raise the cost of your system, and you'll need to buy separate coax cable plus maybe a connector or two, but when set up properly they will give years and years of headache-free performance. Here you can see the antenna on my TJ:

topdown5.jpg

I hope this info helps.

Last edited:

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
TRIP UPDATE

This is shaping up to be an awesome trip. I now have two co-workers who will attend plus the guys who have spoken up in this thread. Assuming nobody cancels on us, there will be 10 vehicles present--nice! Some of us have seen Constrictor many times; others have never seen it. We'll be happy to stop and smell the roses along the way, and I can only assume there will be many photographs taken.

I PMed each participant with a few questions and have received all their answers. My plan is to get everyone to see Constrictor even though some of the rigs are not capable of driving it. As such, we'll have to park a few of them and have their riders jump in other rigs. Based on all the info I've received, it looks like we'll have enough open seats to accomplish this. Good deal. (Oh, I also plan to take the side trip to Wayne's World so everyone can gawk at it even though nobody in our group can climb it.)

Right now the weather outlook says there is a slight chance of rain. The weather is not going to stop us; if anything, a little moisture will be welcome as it would reduce the dust factor. Everyone is encouraged to bring a light rain jacket if you're worried. I'll also bring my Jeep's upper door halves just in case. ;)

Again, arrive at Chevron at 4:15 pm. We plan to head out by 4:30. This will allow us to return to town comfortably before sunset.

Other questions? Post 'em up.