Snakes' Run July 4th

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Awesome video!!! Snap! What happened?

Thanks. The third member failed.

Lost your last t-case skid plate bolt I see. Nice climb out of there though. If you did not fix that right then you probably blew your dif up the trail because of it.

I think your eyes are tricking you in this video: He has tcase drop spacers and the skid plate is attached.

He didn't blow the skid plate bolts until Eagle's Nest when he hit the belly hard. I think the spacer bolts couldn't take the side loading (vs having the skid flush with the frame) and that's how they broke.

He blew the diff because that's how stock 9" thirds always pop. It bounced hard on the nest, shock loading the third, A 9" is a high hypoid gear set: as the pinion deflects away from the ring gear it places more force forward than a standard dana style gear set and spits it out the front. Same thing happened to Cory on WW and Hanging Tree.

I inspected the pinion and it shows no damage. I think with a high strength third it will take care of any future issues.

Cherokeester

Thanks. The third member failed.

I think your eyes are tricking you in this video: He has tcase drop spacers and the skid plate is attached.

He didn't blow the skid plate bolts until Eagle's Nest when he hit the belly hard. I think the spacer bolts couldn't take the side loading (vs having the skid flush with the frame) and that's how they broke.

He blew the diff because that's how stock 9" thirds always pop. It bounced hard on the nest, shock loading the third, A 9" is a high hypoid gear set: as the pinion deflects away from the ring gear it places more force forward than a standard dana style gear set and spits it out the front. Same thing happened to Cory on WW and Hanging Tree.

I inspected the pinion and it shows no damage. I think with a high strength third it will take care of any future issues.

I don't think so, right at the end of the video it is clear he loses a bolt and the skid plate drops. Check out 2:07-2:09

iconwill

ROXX N ROLLER
After seeing it from this angle I think it may be possible. We are gonna have to go try that again...
It looked alot different from inside... I could have hit it much harder than I did and still not ended up on my roof.
I think Ill pull off the lightbar for attempt #2 just in case.

I think you can it too. It's funny how it looks so different from outside looking it.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I don't think so, right at the end of the video it is clear he loses a bolt and the skid plate drops. Check out 2:07-2:09

wow. You're right. 2:08.4-2:09.

But I can guarantee that isn't why the pinion failed. I wish I had video of the bounce that broke it. BIG.

We drove back to the truck with it hanging (couldn't get the bolts to line up) and it the rear output was hardly 2 inches lower. not enough to cause an issue.

Ima9er

Crazy Man
Thanks! Dang that bounced hard
yes it did, i still feel it.. haha j/k. and if i did lose my bolts there, then no biggie cause it didn't do anything. still shifted outta 4wheel(now front wheel drive) just fine. i'm going to be getting thos bolts put back in, except with newer bolts, and then i need to figure out if i want to spend quite a bit of money for just the 3rd member, or do a stock 9" 3rd member, and winter time change to 60's and 4 link the front end.. and just sell off my axles.. so much to think about.. hmmmm

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
This upload should be finishing up soon... thought I would post it up!!!

Warning ~~~ all I had was cheesy music on my laptop at work. :rofl:

[video=youtube_share;nr2nsvIALwI]http://youtu.be/nr2nsvIALwI[/video]

ricsrx

what a great way to run rattelsnake and constrictor with out leaving my front room.
that clip should be used for those who post up wanting info on the trail

Manlaan

I agree. That's good enough to use as a guide, except for the missing ditches at the beginning. Gives a really good view of the obstacles.

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Good feedback on the clips... I tried to put X2 speed on some longer parts of the film, but it didnt like the formating and wouldn't save.

I think next time I'll put some text in describing which obsticals are which as well.

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Just wanted to give an update about that sign that was blasted with Shotguns.... Its finally back up!!!

Big thanks to Tyler aka AX10TOY and his buddy Brandon for taking care of everyting and putting the sign back up for NPLD 2012!!!! Funny story was that while the sign was down I kept seeing people out there with target shooting tables blasting away in every direction, crazy I know!!!! Then everytime I would roll up to them and explain where they were is inside the 5mile pass no shooting zone they would look at me like Im crazy. So thanks to the sign people who do not know much about the area can now read about where they are and that its a no shooting zone.

2012-07-04_15-14-15_401.jpg

IMG_4249.jpg

Team1k

Thank goodness. I missed the turnout for that parking area last time i was out there because i always look for that sign :)