Northern Utah Snakes run sunday may 5th.

wydej

LJSean
We are planning on running the snakes trails on sunday may 5th if anyone would like to join us. We will meet at the parking lot at 10.

It looks like it will be just me and I can go saturday or sunday may 4th or 5th if anyone can join me. I will be running a new trail I maped out in the fall near rattle snake. This trail is a 6 with a lot of optional 8-10 side obsticals. There will be alittle bit of maintenace needed but not to much. I did alot of research on the BLM web site and this area is an open travel area so it is legal. If anyone would like to join me let me know.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Even if it's legal, is it wise?

I don't mean to criticize, but opening new trails out there could force the BLM into making some decisions about the existing trails we might not want them to make. Have you spoken to anybody at the BLM and are they ok with your new route?

I'd love to see more technical routes out at Five Mile, and I've been considering doing the same thing you are. But I've been planning on talking to the BLM before I actually drive anything...

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Don't be discouraged, 5mile is def open an open atv area... so you should be fine to explore around. You won't even come close to the destruction an uneducated atv'er, biker or side-x-sider will do in about 15 min in that area. Last time I talked a local BLM officer out on snakes they told me they were not concerned with the jeeps that drive on the two tracks out at 5 mile (he had no specific comment on the snakes trails though).

wydej

LJSean
My orginal plan was to talk to the BLM to find out how to designate a new trail but then I found a very detailed map on the BLM website that lists exactly what each area is designated as. For example Constrictor is in an area that is open to existing trails only (closed to new trails. There are sections of the map that are still designated as open to cross country travel. By definition on the BLM site you can drive on or off trail in these areas. We obviously do not want to drive on and run down every part of this area but establishing a new trail in one of these open areas that is not far from the rattle snake trail is perfectly legal and I hope would not create problems with the BLM. I will bring a copy of the map with me this weekend to confirm with anyone running the trail that we are in the right area that is designated as open to new trail development. Thanks for the concern I also would not want anything to happen to our existing trails.

chase3194

I'm open front and rear in my Toyota with 37s I am down to come out if I will be able to make it out there with my truck

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
wydej I'm guessing you've walked most of this new trail. If not and it needs to be walked first I'm down with that. I've got my Gaia GPS on my phone and a map of the area saved so we can get GPS tracks of the route.