Snow Driving!!!

jdub

Scrambler
My wifes cj7 has em too (bfg at's) And I think it's my choice for my next set. Plus it helped seeing a Taco climb Bump Dump effortlesly with 'em.

Meat_

Banned
Since '97 and nothing yet. :(

'95 was about the last year we had good snow in the valleys (I used to plow) In '93 my dad and I took turns plowing one job for 36 hours... had to break away and do the other jobs fast once and we never caught up with it again until the snow stopped.
Dec '83 I had 3 foot in my driveway -_- and I'm at about the lowest part of Happy Valley.

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
there will only be snow for the cool kids. you must not be cool.:p

as for snow driving. 4WD helps you go in the snow. but it doesnt help you stop in the snow. everybody be safe, and please dont drive like an ass. my kids are in the car next to you.

What do you mean? My truck stops on a dime when It's in 4 wheel drive. :D :D

Last edited:

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
come end of jan, first of feb, I'll encourage you guys to some high unita snow fun ... lets go get stuck in some serious snow! See if we can get to the trail head of Mineral Basin for example

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Jeremy, you'll like this then:

My wife and I were in a pretty good snowstorm, going 100mi to see my parents in NY. Road was very slippery and we were ahead of the plows. Guy comes up fast behind us, flashing brights. As I was in the slow lane, I did nothing. He flies by, disappears into the night.

About 5 mi ahead, he was spun out in the median in about 6' of snowbank, cocked over to one side and hopelessly stuck. We stopped. I took immense pleasure in telling him that stuff like was why I was going the speed I was going (which was about 60mph, still too fast probably. I was 21 then). I told him we'd call the Troopers at the next rest stop.

I love that. Guy whipped past me in the ice, at the 80/15 interchange. Flipped me off, then spun it out on the curve and backed it into the wall HARD. Nice new Ranger. That was fun too. "you alright? yeah? Kinda went a little too fast there huh??"

anyway.

StrobeNGH

no user title
In the winter of 94/95 I was driving on I-15, on the old 21st south to 9th south bypass.
I was in a 2wd Ranger doing deliveries to shops, and there was about 1' of snow on the ground, and lots of ice. Some HOT teenage chick was pushing me, and decided to pass me in the emergency lane. She went around me, got about 100 yards ahead of me, and went into a corner. The road went left, she went straight.
Unfortunately, this was on an overpass.
Instead of running directly into the jersey barrier/guard, her car hit the snow that was piled up, and ended up high-centered on top of the barricade. Her front tires were hanging off the edge.
I managed to get stopped, and help her out of the car.

I don't think she'll ever do that again. She was literally paralyzed with fear.

StrobeNGH

no user title
'95 was about the last year we had good snow in the valleys (I used to plow) In '93 my dad and I took turns plowing one job for 36 hours... had to break away and do the other jobs fast once and we never caught up with it again until the snow stopped.
Dec '83 I had 3 foot in my driveway -_- and I'm at about the lowest part of Happy Valley.

'93 was definitely a high point in my life.
School was cancelled for 2 days because of the snow.

We had a plow on our ATV, and created a pile of snow, 8' wide, 12' deep, 7' high, across the street.
There was so much snow, we had to start clearing roofs off.

We were jumping off 2 story houses into the snow piles, but the drop was only about 4' because of how much snow was piled up.

Our neighbors took their snowmobiles to work the day of the snow.

In '95 there was some okay snow . . . but the last good valley storm I remember was in '03. The day after christmas storm.
There was so much snow we had to climb up on the roof 3 different times to take the weight off the roof.

Meat_

Banned
and whats your point ... I've pushed snow with the rad gaurd before.

By Feb, the unpacked trail (from snowmobiles, which will allow you to get to here) will be more like 6 feet deep

I've been there at that time before, and my point is.... dream on :rofl:

Edit: by the way that was 6'~12'

Last edited:

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
As a kid, I lived by Skyline high. A few friends and I had 4x4's all through high school. During the winters, Friday/Sat nights were spent driving to the top of Millcreek canyon to party. Heavy duty snow 4x4 trying to stay on snowmobile pack, and yes lots of stuck. One January, 2 vehicles headed out to American fork canyon - Me in lead, chains on all fours, pushing snow with the bumper, on top of the snowmobile pack ... we went over to Heber.

Yes, I've been there in winter also ... in a 1976 1/2 ton GMC pickup truck, 2 open carriers and chains on all four.

When we hit Poleline pass, and headed down into snake creek, not being able to see the road .. as the road, being cut into the steep side hill (think "L\") the snow was at the same angle as the hill, and you could not even tell where the road was. Unfortunately, we had gone down far enough, that the vehicle behing me (not having chains) could not back out. We were commited to push on ... This rated as number 2, in my most intense 4x4 experience ever We hit Heber about 3am in the morning. Most intense ... well that's another story

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
i remember that snow. i didnt find out about school being canceled until i pulled my 73 chrysler newport into the unplowed school parking lot.

that car, empty school parking lot, 18" of fresh snow.:cool:

I don't remember my school ever closing for snow, but I do remember many days that winter where the halls were sparsely populated.

'93 was definitely a high point in my life.
School was cancelled for 2 days because of the snow.

We had a plow on our ATV, and created a pile of snow, 8' wide, 12' deep, 7' high, across the street.
There was so much snow, we had to start clearing roofs off.

We were jumping off 2 story houses into the snow piles, but the drop was only about 4' because of how much snow was piled up.

Our neighbors took their snowmobiles to work the day of the snow.

In '95 there was some okay snow . . . but the last good valley storm I remember was in '03. The day after christmas storm.
There was so much snow we had to climb up on the roof 3 different times to take the weight off the roof.

I think that was the winter I drove a wrecker. Big purple one.....

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
One night we headed up to Brighton ski resorts, started out about 11:00pm after a huge snow fall just ended. Getting up big cottonwood canyon in 2 feet of snow was a blast, but upon reaching the parking lot, it was like the "daily double bonus"!!! The resort, using those big road grater plows, had just done their lot, no joking, row after row of 6 ft + soft snow banks ... what a blast doing donuts and busting up those rows ... wow, I'll bet the plow operator wanted to kill us in the morning when they saw what we left!

First big ding in my then new truck ... buddy, busting wildly (hence mid snow explosion, blindly) through a row, hit my passenger side door ...

man that was a fun night