Snow Run in October

Sumo

Xykon: Order of the Stick
Hey guys, when and where do you SLC folks do the snow wheeling around these parts? I've got an open top rig but I love to hit the snow!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Look for decent snow wheelin around Thanksgiving... AF Canyon is good until they close the gate. After that, you really have to search for decent places. A few years back 5 Mile Pass got pounded & a couple guys from RME headed out... snow was DEEP & they were having trouble making progress on flat ground.

Here it is- Shawn & Jeremy @ 5 Mile

Sumo

Xykon: Order of the Stick
wait till first of January, when snowmobilers have packed the trails. There are several good trails right here in Heber valley.

Cool, thanks! I'll leave it up to you to let me know when to head up and over the pass. Nice excuse for me to bring the (somewhat nasty lookin') rig to work. Maybe offend some of the architects and accountants in the office. :rofl:

If the right storm hits you can get a lot of good wheelin right here in town.

So I hear... our office is at 215 and 3000 E. My coworkers said they spend a day (I think last year) watching everyone unsuccessfully trying to make it up the hill on the ice. :eek:

richpblaze

Yeah we've had this discussion before

Look for decent snow wheelin around Thanksgiving... AF Canyon is good until they close the gate. After that, you really have to search for decent places. A few years back 5 Mile Pass got pounded & a couple guys from RME headed out... snow was DEEP & they were having trouble making progress on flat ground.

Here it is- Shawn & Jeremy @ 5 Mile

Thats because they didn't have chains, I've made it up to the entrance to Constrictor when there was 3 to 4 feet of snow.:rolleyes::eek: I will be adding some links for the 42's it will be a tank.

Last edited:

T.T.

Thats because they didn't have chains, I've made it up to the entrance to Constrictor when there was 3 to 4 feet of snow.:rolleyes::eek: I will be adding some links for the 42's it will be a tank.
38" Boggers with the small lug cut out & 148 1/4" studs at 4psi work pretty good too.

That's what I'm talking about! Very nice! Bring on the powder, baby! :D

I'll be watching, waiting:sick:

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
I'll organize something when we have some snowmobile pack ... maybe up snake creek and down into Mineral basin trail head ... or maybe big or little pole, center creek or lake creek are all good possibilities also.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I'll organize something when we have some snowmobile pack ... maybe up snake creek and down into Mineral basin trail head ... or maybe big or little pole, center creek or lake creek are all good possibilities also.

:cool:

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
I need to check out 6 states, I think they can get me a set of chains for the front. I wonder what a pair of 39.5" chains would cost me?

I've been BAD stuck before and fully expect it to happen again. Axe, saw, jacks, shovel a must

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
Up in Washington we're not allowed to wheel where the sleds go. Not so here I'm guessing?

Not sure if there is a problem with this or not. If it was inforced it would be at the stake park (snake creek). Also Lake Creek is very busy with snowmobiles. Big or little pole and center creek would be good options. They will not be posted as open/closed where the other trails maybe.

edit:

It does make a BIG divit if you break through the pack and get stuck. I'm sure the snowmobiles love that, but next storm, its gone. Snake Creek and Center creek may also be groomed ... not sure

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Not sure if there is a problem with this or not. If it was inforced it would be at the stake park (snake creek). Also Lake Creek is very busy with snowmobiles. Big or little pole and center creek would be good options. They will not be posted as open/closed where the other trails maybe.

edit:

It does make a BIG divit if you break through the pack and get stuck. I'm sure the snowmobiles love that, but next storm, its gone. Snake Creek and Center creek may also be groomed ... not sure

We definately need to do a mineral basin/forest lake run before thanksgiving. My rig will be down, but it will be a good excuse for Jenn to take her rig out for some snow wheeling:greg:

erocrocks

does anyone know when mineral basin will be close this year, is there a set time, or what, my family is coming out FOR thanksgiving, ans would like to take them out while here...

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
does anyone know when mineral basin will be close this year, is there a set time, or what, my family is coming out FOR thanksgiving, ans would like to take them out while here...

Depends on the snow & storms... it's been opened after Thanksgiving in the past, but I wouldn't count on it. I was able to do some epic snow wheelin in '01 up AFC right around T-Giving, the canyon was opened for something like 3 days of huge storms, then they closed the gate.

I was breaking thru snow slides that had snow over my headlights... got stuck with snow up to the bottom of the window on the pass side. I wish I had pics from that trip. Later that evening, I rolled my Toyota being dumb. :D