Snowcats

DToy

Some time this winter if ya ger bored i would like to go for a ride in a tracked utv! I guarantee it can make it farther than I could on any sled (I can get stuck in parking lot)

ps wanta come to Moab next Thursday?

Sounds good. We'll have to find a time this winter to take it out. I'm the same as you on a sled...stuck becomes my middle name.

I wish I could do Moab next Thursday. I'll be hunting deer in Wyoming though.

I'm pretty sure they do have more surface area than a powder sled. The rear tracks are 14" wide each x around 42" long (contact area). Front tracks are 12" wide x around 30" long. Total of around 1,896 square inches. Figuring 900 pounds for machine (Yamaha Kodiak) and rider puts it right around .47. One of the best things about it is that you can stop, backup, etc. and not have to worry about it burying itself. Just before I bought my tracks I took a Polaris RMK with a 154" (I think) track up to my cabin and got stuck 4 times. The road is too narrow to be able to turn around when the sled started to sink, and steep enough that if I stopped or slowed down on the hill there was no getting started again. With the tracks I can crawl along as slow as I want, stop, etc. and then start going again. Not anywhere close to as fast as a sled, but for getting from point A to B with the added ability of carrying cargo, people, etc. I don't think the tracks can be beat.

I really need to upgrade to the UTV tracks for my Rhino - they have 2,400 inches of contact area :cool:

Very cool. I love getting educated. Yes, you definitely need to keep moving on a sled, and careful where you stop. I'm far from pro, but I don't get stuck as often as I did a few years ago.

ID Bronco

A couple of guys in Pocatello built them for their Cherokees a couple of years ago for a fraction of the cost of Mattracks. They used to be on Planet4x4.net.

Might be some good info sources.