Snowy Steel Bender 1/2/10

surgeryturtle

RedRoxx
Winter still has its snowy grasp on Moab and our scheduled trail, Poison Spider, had to be cancelled due to snow on the slickrock. Jim suggested that we could probably get through on Steelbender so we moved the trail.

Still starting at 10:00am to allow the temperatures to warm up a bit, we met at the South Shell Station. We ended up with the usual motley die-hards as well as some guests who found us through Rocky Mountain Extreme. A total of 9 rigs went down to the bottom of the switch backs to air down.

Yours truly brought out Redroxx for more snowy fun. Like my hot pink hat?

The first series of slickrock ledges. Yes, there is some slickrock under there…..somewhere. Driver’s choice to get up this hill.

Skills are sharpened as we all remember once again, how to off-road drive in the snow. Unfortunately for Rick, his rear locker wasn’t working well and he eventually needed some assistance getting up the hill. He gave quite a show, like a drunken ice skater! Show us a double axle Rick! At least a rear axle! Anything?

After getting familiar with the skinny pedal (well, for all of us but Larry) and getting wheelspin and momentum, we made our way up to Diane’s bump. Interestingly enough, we did this trail last January 2nd and if you want to go back and see the blog, you’ll see the huge difference in the amount of snow.

Larry went right on up.

Gary took a try or two but found a good line and went for it. Nicely done!

Here’s Josh (one of our visitors from Draper). He almost made it but kept sliding back onto his rear diff. Eventually he needed a bit of help.

I was really impressed by this guy and his little stock JK Rubicon. He drove it like he stole it (maybe he did!) and made most of the obstacles today—-just not quite this one.

Jim came right on up and then called lunch when he got to the top. He brought a friend from Denver out on the trail who seemed to be thoroughly enjoying himself.

This guy found our website a couple of days ago but apparently is a semi-local so we might see him again.

Finally Jeff brings up the rear and we all take a few minutes to enjoy whatever was cooking on the manifold. Burritos? Pizza? YUM!

After lunch, we struck out for the Wall or the Draggin’ Tail obstacle. I couldn’t resist taking this photo. Blue sky, snowy mountains, a little redrock, and Jeeps in the snow…..beautiful!

Here we go, everyone prepare for gravity to take over……

Don’t slide off that cliff!

Even JK’s are subject to sudden fall overs…..you should look back and see the blog on JK bender…..I think getting off the trail with only a ripped off license plate and a large dent in the rear bumper was pretty good. Knock that plastic off as we say!

Over to the “road” obstacle, named for Melanie. Folks get caught on these rocks and ledges in sunny weather. Riding it in the snow was a real thrill. Imagine a giant pinball game where you are the pinball…..fun, huh?

Lots of cheering for drtsqrl! Right, left, back-up, go, stop, loop de loop, work the wheel, give her gas! Lots of laughing as Jeff eventually makes it up this hill.

After a stop for a tire off the bead change, we made our way over to the Dragon’s tongue. I think that’s what they call it anyway…..

Yee-haw! Up we go! Everyone who tried it, made it and it was a good show too. You just go up as fast as you can and generally point the Jeep in the direction you HOPE to go. WOW! Different driving than I’m used to but fun.

Go Gary Lee. He will not be defeated! Anyone giving him a hard time should try driving OverEZ with his 1.3 l engine. Hurrah!

surgeryturtle

RedRoxx

Okay Redroxx’s photo is a little out of order but went up none the less. Thanks Jim for sending me this shot!

Over to what Jim has begun calling the Dragon Spit. I guess after the tongue, there’s not much left it COULD be. Funny! Those who wanted to went on up this way. A little slippery as spit so often is!

More slipping and sliding up and down but no real problems for the rest of the trail. A wonderful trail day. I just wish the snow would MELT!!

Melissa

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
Great report as always!!!

I did that trail a few years ago in some snow. Was a great time.

p.s. I'm still jealous.

Hey, great pics of the trip! I am the semi local, Ron, who joined on the trip. What a great time had by all and a great group of people! i would love to join the group next time, perhaps some of the snow will go away?! Oh well, if not, let r spin! I learned alot from you folks in a short period of time, thanks!

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Hey, great pics of the trip! I am the semi local, Ron, who joined on the trip. What a great time had by all and a great group of people! i would love to join the group next time, perhaps some of the snow will go away?! Oh well, if not, let r spin! I learned alot from you folks in a short period of time, thanks!

Hey Ron, good to meet you, and welcome to RME!

surgeryturtle

RedRoxx
Thanks Ron and welcome. I'm the worst on catching people's names and since there were 3 new rigs, I only caught Josh in the other XJ and I think your passenger was Phil.
We are planning Behind the Rocks for Saturday....10:00 at the Shell station. Likely too much snow to try the big stuff but there's lots of territory to cover.

XJumpmaster

XJumpmaster
Seriously, that was probably the most fun I've had in Moab in a long time! Now I just need to get those tires replaced and figure out a new shimmy in the front end! Thanks to a great bunch of people! I will definitely keep an eye on the site for future trips!