Snowy Strike Ravine-Sunday November 15th

surgeryturtle

RedRoxx
Well, the snow finally came to Moab and left a winter wonderland for Jeeping. We had Strike Ravine on the schedule and a group of 10 rigs was waiting at the South Shell station to see how it is to run Moab in the snow. I can describe it in one word…..BEAUTIFUL. I can also describe it in words like…slippery, muddy, but also lots of fun.

Here are some photos of dropping into the Ravine very near the Green Day trailhead in Area BFE.

Here’s a photo of a JK named Jumper and his owner Gary Bushnell. Gary had requested this trail and had a little bit of trouble in the snow. Jumper did a bit of jumping and wound up with a broken front axle.

Melanie was tickled to get to use her new winch. This is a photo right through the windshield.

A group from the Salt Lake valley joined us and gave big thumbs up on the trail and wonderful day. They’re used to snow apparently and like the mix of red rock and winter conditions.

Poor Gary again. Redroxx was giving Jumper a little bit of tow assistance with the broken axle when Jumper jumped off the trail and into the ravine along the trail. I don’t think its the one the trail is named after but I’m sure that Gary has a name or two for it (none that I can mention here).

Might as well keep a positive attitute and wait for help. I’m not sure if Gary could have gotten out of his Jeep at this point anyway….

A 4 Jeep rescue….two were winching from the side while two were pulling. Finally Gary was rescued from the ditch and to everyone’s surprise, there wasn’t a scratch on the Jeep. Perhaps a scuff on the flare but all things considered, it worked out pretty well.

Back to the county road and the Steven’s garage for an axle pull. Yes, under that snow is a lot of mud as all the Jeeps showed. Off to the carwash.

First though, Gary gets a lesson on axle pulling 101. He did a great job and gets an A+. Not as hard as you thought is it Gary? Take it from me who’s pulled a bunch! Better in the garage than on the muddy trail….that's for sure!

After the axle was removed, Gary and Deb set off for home in Payson, no doubt discussing their exciting and adventurous day.
Another fabulous wintry day here in Moab!
Thanks all and see ya on the trail.
Melissa