So does the Buffdale shoot out bug anyone else?

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
Therefore you have no clue as to what "a father's" emotions are when it comes to protecting their kids.

I've had 3 daughters and now only have 2. I would do anything to protect the ones I have left.

I'm still on the father's side.

So being a father causes people to act upon their emotions and be irrational? :confused:

Those emotions should not be the reason some innocent people got killed.

And for the record, I'm on the father's side too. :D

RuggedH2

Just doing my thing.
Emotions aside...... and without all the facts.......

I still think it's gonna be clearly shown that dad should not have shot the neighborhood watch guy.

There is going to be plenty of blame to go around and mistakes to answer for all around.......

but the real crappy deal is........ neighborhood watch dude got shot over a misunderstanding.......and that is gonna be dad's fault......There may be mitigating circumstances and there will be factors to consider........But.....

If you are going to use deadly force...... you better be sure of the circumstances........or you own the liability.

Last edited:

snccoulter

www.coulters-inc.com
It looks like the cops were doing the best they could and decided to cover their bases and charge him with Attempted Murder. That way it shows that they are doing their job. If they did not do anything the news would be all over them for not enforcing the law. So be it the father shot a man and he can spend a few days in the lockup until the D.A. makes the final decision. The article states the Salt Lake County District Attorney will screen the case. So who knows the DA may drop the case. either way there will be a nasty civil case. BTW I am for the father also. Don't follow my children.

CJ Matt

Therefore you have no clue as to what "a father's" emotions are when it comes to protecting their kids.

I've had 3 daughters and now only have 2. I would do anything to protect the ones I have left.

I'm still on the father's side.

Dan, my neighbor and friend don’t ask to barrow my gun or come get me. The dad was wrong.

cuban b

You're all WEAK SAUCE!
I'm with the father based on what we "know". He screwed up by not calling the cops, but I also don't think a threat disappears at the edge of my property.

Lots of mistakes were made, but I'm not sure I would believe someone who said they were on neighborhood watch then pulled a gun on me.

I may have shot too.

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
The idiot father should have never left the house with a gun, he went looking for trouble by doing it. All he had to do was call the police, give them a description, and be on the look out.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
KSL now reports neighborhood watch guy put his gun down kicked it away and then the father shot him. If true anyone still think it's OK?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
KSL now reports neighborhood watch guy put his gun down kicked it away and then the father shot him. If true anyone still think it's OK?

Hell no it's not ok! If that is indeed the truth, then he should get Attempted Murder. That is quite ridiculous.

The probable cause statement says Campos pulled in front of Serbeck and Peterson, jumped out of his SUV, pointing his gun at the two men, ordering Serbeck to "put his hands up."

"Serbeck exited his vehicle with his own firearm, holding it upside down, by the barrel," The statement reads. "He then placed the gun on the ground and kicked it away, disarming himself. [Campos] then fired two shots at Serbeck."

Serbeck was hit in the shoulder, the bullet exited through his back. He is now permanently paralyzed.

Attempted murder is a first degree felony carrying a 3 years to life prison sentence.

Aggravated Assault is a third degree felony with a possible prison sentence of 0 to 5 years.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=7313785

Last edited:

CJ Matt

Well the job of the news is to report the truth. They do not always do a good job but they can report the charges and what they know. It looks very bad for the dad.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Hindsight is 20/20, it's easy to be critical of how the situation played out and it sucks that it ended how it did. I think mistakes were made on both sides and sadly everyone involved now has some kind of consequence that they have to live with.

That being said, I wonder if the girls played up the situation of being followed to their dad, putting him into panic mode and letting his better judgment get put to the side.

It's sad that someone actually got shot and severely injured, it's amazing how quickly life can change in the blink of a eye due to a bad decision.

CJ Matt

That being said, I wonder if the girls played up the situation of being followed to their dad, putting him into panic mode and letting his better judgment get put to the side.

I have wondered the same. The charges against the dad say he shot the other guy after he laid his gun down. Sounds like the dad pulled his gun first too, that is different from the first reports.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor

If only the world ran on emotions :rofl: Women would have the right to kill their husbands a couple days per month and disparaged and depressed teenagers could massacre school yard bullies :rolleyes:

Common sense and emotions are often mutually exclusive. Your proving my point.

...I would do anything to protect the ones I have left...

Like grab your gun and take one of them on a hunt to find their purported stalker knowing the situation could elevate to the point of needing a gun :confused: I honestly don't find fault with the father searching out the purported stalker for the intent of asking him his intentions. My fault is dragging his daughter along. If a handful of teenage girls can't provide him with enough of a description of the gents and their vehicle... then their account of the situation should be questioned in the first place.

While I don't have children, I have a wife that I love dearly and would place her life in front of my own. If the situation happened with her in our neighborhood as she was out walking... the last thing I would sanely do is place here in the car as we go back on a hunt for the perps... and she is not only comfortable with self defense but she herself the owner of a weapon that could be used to protect herself. Emotions don't make that explainable imo. Would my emotions have me out on the street looking for them... likely, would I bring my wife and nephews along. No.

CJ Matt

You protect those you have if the danger is staring you in the face and you have no other option. If you have to get in your car and go to the danger then you have failed! You should have called the cops.

Sorry,
I will not budge on that stance. That was my view from the beginning and now as more information comes out it is clear that the father acted very poorly.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Kurt, you forgot to mention that your wife is a black belt master...

She's not one to be messed with.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Anyone catch the story tonight about the guy who got shot is now being investigated for molesting a young girl in a neighborhood that he used to live in?

Makes ya wonder if he enjoyed neighborhood watch because he got to keep an eye on the females in the neigborhood? Maybe I'm reading into it, but the teens were obviously creeped out by the encounter that led to the altercation and shooting.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Anyone catch the story tonight about the guy who got shot is now being investigated for molesting a young girl in a neighborhood that he used to live in?

Makes ya wonder if he enjoyed neighborhood watch because he got to keep an eye on the females in the neigborhood? Maybe I'm reading into it, but the teens were obviously creeped out by the encounter that led to the altercation and shooting.

Found the article your referring to. Interesting. The alleged victim 20 years old now, was 17 years old at the time of the 2007 ongoing relationship. Civil suit :rolleyes: If these allegations are true, why not go after him criminally and then civilly? Is it about money or putting a could be creep behind bars? I just don't get it, if this abused happened why would her first call not be the police? "The woman said his current condition gave her courage to come forward" then later said "The young woman said the sexual relationship only stopped because Serbeck moved to another area of the valley". Hope she didn't finally decide it was 'abuse' when she heard he might be getting some money (assuming Campos is found guilty and Serbeck sues civilly for his injuries).

Same lawyer representing Campos criminally and the alleged abuse victim in her civil suit. He's going at the Serbeck like a monkey.

Doesn't change the fact Campos is facing 1st degree Attempted Murder charges and two 3rd degree Aggravated Assault charges. Reading the charge statement, its not looking good for Campos. His story was that Serbeck pulled the gun, cocked it and which point he shot. Police found the gun in the safe position on the ground away from the victim. Eye witness didn't see Serbeck point his gun, just saw Campos fire. We shall see when it finally goes to trial.

Last edited: