so I finally bought an off-road trailer last week

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I have been looking for the perfect trailer for awhile within a certain budget with the usual requirements, things like a 4x6 base, steel channel side supports, long tongue, tucked lights, and hinged rear gate. So last Monday I saw a listing on KSL and called the seller who is just a few miles from me. I'm sure some of you saw the listing as well. Anyway, I chat with him and he gives me the address to look at it even though he is out of town. I drove over and knew I wanted it the moment I saw it. He got back in town Wednesday and I went over to buy it. The seller's name is Mike who was a Jeep nut and has owned 7 Jeeps over the years, but his current hobby is piloting his jet boat up and down whitewater rivers. His father built the trailer about 20 years ago specifically to go on Jeep trails. Here is the description:

Small utility trailer. This trailer was designed and built to be towed behind a Jeep. It has even been to the Doll House in the Maze District of Canyonlands. It is also perfect for yard waste etc. The bed is 48in. X 62in. X 22in. deep. There is a channel around the top so that a 48in. wide piece of plywood can be used to seal and lock the contents. There are also mounts for a Yakama roof rack bolted to the top rail.

After chatting about Jeeps for over half an hour and his jet boat awhile longer, I handed him the money and went on my way. He even loaned me an air saw and threw in a straight hitch mount that made the trailer tongue perfectly level.

All I have done to it so far is a good scrubbing. On Saturday I hauled 1460 lbs of mulch home with it and was nice and smooth. Picked up some used off-road tires for it the other day and I am thinking about different paint schemes and will put new plywood on it over the summer, 1/2in sides with 3/4in bottom marine grade. It will fit a 33 laying flat on the tongue without any interference, so I have options there. Next week I'm ordering water and gas can mounts. Eventually I will look at buying or building a roof top tent for it and utilize the roof rack mounts that are already in place, but I currently own 7 nice tents and will sell off a few first. And I found my way over to expedition portal to get some more ideas.

Some pictures of the trailer:

Attachments

• DSCN4114.jpg
    DSCN4114.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN4115.jpg
    DSCN4115.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN4116.jpg
    DSCN4116.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN4122.jpg
    DSCN4122.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN4134.jpg
    DSCN4134.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

muleskinner

Nice little trailer. You mentioned you have 7 nice tents you are going to sell. Do you have a Springbar? I'm looking for one if you do.

Cherokeester

Trailer

You will enjoy that trailer. Here is mine I just finished. It is a lot like yours! Funny, I have it for camping but I use it for yard stuff way more even though I have a truck.

Attachments

• 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 26

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
You will enjoy that trailer. Here is mine I just finished. It is a lot like yours! Funny, I have it for camping but I use it for yard stuff way more even though I have a truck.

Mark, did you have to ream out the center bore hole on the wheels? I was intending to run stock ZJ wheels but it looks like I will have to ream out the hole a bit. And my trailer is currently filled with yard waste ready for the dump.