So, I witnessed a solo vehicle car accident this morning (cool story bra')

TRNDRVR

IMA BUM
On my way home from work at about 0330. Solo vehicle accident on the 15 freeway North of SLC, UT. Car travels from far right lane of freeway, across 4 lanes, smashes into center concrete barrier, slides back out of control across 4 lanes of traffic and ends up under a freeway overpass.

Kicker? It was a fully marked Utah Highway Patrol car. :eek:

Lady on 911 at first didn't believe me when I was reporting what I had just seen. I told her I had just watched a cop crash his car out of the blue. Her response was "what?". "Yes maam, it was a Utah Highway Patrol car". "What?"

She instructed me to circle back around the exits and make sure he was okay. She said she was in contact with all of her officers and it was none of them involved. They had no clue who it would've been. With my phone, cop tells 911 he fell asleep at the wheel, and over-corrected after he hit the center wall.

Just due to the times I commute to and from work, I see some interesting stuff. Mostly the drunks trying not to get caught making their way home. Watching a Utah Highway Patrol car crash right in front of me was slightly unexpected to say the least.

I know, cool story. It's mine though and I'm sticking to it. :-\
(I posted this on the pirate board, but posted here too because of the locality)

TRNDRVR

IMA BUM
With all of thier training i know that this story could not be true......
Of course it can't!

Was there any testing done on the officer for alcohol and such?
I'm not sure. I did suggest it to the 911 lady. I followed this guy from 400s in SLC up to where he crashed. Multiple times he was drifting in and out of his lane of travel, speeding, doing the speed limit, impeding traffic. He actually had all the signs of DUI, or texting. He was dazed when I talked to him, but I would say he was for the most part coherent.

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
So I guess my first question would be, Why didn't you stop in the first place?

It doesn't matter that it was a highway patrol, if you were the only one around you should have stopped.

Now that is out of the way, that is crazy you got to witness that, nice work one calling it in.
:)

skeptic

My wife commutes from Clearfield to Murray every day. About once a month she tells me about some wreck she sees happen. No solo-cop crashes though. After 5 years in South Florida commuting into Miami every day I barely notice crashes anymore unless they are spectacular or affect me directly.

TRNDRVR

IMA BUM
So I guess my first question would be, Why didn't you stop in the first place?

It doesn't matter that it was a highway patrol, if you were the only one around you should have stopped.

Now that is out of the way, that is crazy you got to witness that, nice work one calling it in.
:)
Actually I was already exiting the freeway and heading back as I was calling 911.

Up to him crashing, he was driving erratically. With most drivers fearing passing the trooper, everybody was kind of bunched up. An evasive maneuver to the side of the road was difficult at best!

I was the only driver that doubled back and stopped to make sure he was okay.