So now that I'm legal...insurance question

Caleb

Took the written test today and passed with flying colors (only missed one :D). Now I need to get some insurance on my bike, who do you guys use? I called State Farm (who I use for all my other policies) and first off they didn't even have my bike in their database (2003 Husky) then they came back with a quote WAY higher than the others I got quotes from online and the ones online come with better coverage. Right now Progressive is leading but I have no experience with them...any feedback on Progressive?

Last edited:

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I use progressive on my bikes and have always been happy. I use USAA for our primary vehicles, but they won't insure murdercycles.

Corban_White

I have Farmers on my bike as well as my other bike and my cars and my house. I have been very happy with them since they have always taken care of me with zero hoops to jump through. That being said, I haven't shopped around since I only had 2 cars and 1 street legal bike. What kind of quotes are you getting ($$)? Liability only or comprehensive?

Caleb

I have Farmers on my bike as well as my other bike and my cars and my house. I have been very happy with them since they have always taken care of me with zero hoops to jump through. That being said, I haven't shopped around since I only had 2 cars and 1 street legal bike. What kind of quotes are you getting ($$)? Liability only or comprehensive?
Full Coverage for my bike only is $250 through State Farm, $111 through Progressive. That's $100 Comprehensive $250 Collision and $50K/$100K for Bodily injury and $25K Property damage plus Progressive includes $3000 coverage for accessories. Sate Farm for that rate is $500 deductible for both and no accessories coverage. Geico is the next expensive at $196 and e-surance is $173 and I haven't spoke with Allstate yet but I've never been fond of them after dealing with them a couple times when I got hit by one of their insurers. These are all rates for 12 months of coverage. I've always known my State Farm insurance was a bit more than others and I've been fine with that because the service I receive has been more than worth it, but for more than double the cost...that's not worth it.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I feel a bit better about going with Progressive now for my bike. :D

utahluge

Finally Got My Truck!!
We have progressive for our cars and their customer service is top notch! Every time I've ever called I spoke with someone who was knowledgeable and friendly.
Same here. They keep giving me discounts too. I have done some online quotes before and progressive is always cheaper because of how long I have been with them.

It's ironic you ask today too. I just got a thing in the mail today saying that I am a Platinum member. Apparently, because I have been with them for more than 4 years, they guarantee that my rate will not increase from a big accident (even if my fault).

The only downside to progressive is that I always get a ton of mail from them. If I got around to organizing all the papers I have collected over four years, I could fill half a drawer of a file cabinet. BUT, I would much rather have all those papers if needed for court in short order than wait for them to be mailed to me.

I am happy with Progressive. :)

rholbrook

I have American Family on My home, boat, vehicles, ATVs and dirt bikes. I have only had one claim and it was taken care of in days. No complaints. The insurance on my 2 bikes was cheap too.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
Bringing an old thread to the top....

We bought a Teryx4 and due to having a loan we're required to have comprehensive insurance on it. I've had the DRZ insured with Progressive for a year now and like stated above they were the cheapest around and had good service. We added the Teryx a few months back and were billed the difference for the yearly premium only.

So, now my policy is set to renew at the end of the month and I find out that the Teryx is over $400 per year! I get looking into what I'm paying for and over half the premium is for liability coverage on the Teryx. It is not street legal, and therefore is not required by the state to carry liability coverage. So, I give Progressive a call to drop liability, and they explain they cannot write a policy without liability coverage, period. They do not offer comprehensive only policies.

So, does anybody know who offers affordable OHV insurance without requiring liability as well? Seems ridiculous to pay double the rate for something I'm not required to carry, and will likely (hopefully) never need.

Thanks

Caleb

Bringing an old thread to the top....

We bought a Teryx4 and due to having a loan we're required to have comprehensive insurance on it. I've had the DRZ insured with Progressive for a year now and like stated above they were the cheapest around and had good service. We added the Teryx a few months back and were billed the difference for the yearly premium only.

So, now my policy is set to renew at the end of the month and I find out that the Teryx is over $400 per year! I get looking into what I'm paying for and over half the premium is for liability coverage on the Teryx. It is not street legal, and therefore is not required by the state to carry liability coverage. So, I give Progressive a call to drop liability, and they explain they cannot write a policy without liability coverage, period. They do not offer comprehensive only policies.

So, does anybody know who offers affordable OHV insurance without requiring liability as well? Seems ridiculous to pay double the rate for something I'm not required to carry, and will likely (hopefully) never need.

Thanks

FWIW, I'm sure it exists but I've never heard of insurance without liability. Normally it's liability only or comprehensive with liability.

solstice

Comp only does exist and is super cheap, but because you have a loan you need comp and collision with no liability, and I am not aware of any company that will do this.

solstice

One other thing to consider is that if you don't insure it your lender will force place insurance that only covers physical damage and is basically comp and collision without liability. It is possible, but not likely that this could be cheaper than what you are paying now. They would add the premium to your payment.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
To be clear, the lender requires comprehensive and collision coverage, and the state (for street legal only) requires liability. The bank doesn't care if my actions hurt somebody else, only the vehicle they cover.

My desire is to purchase comp and collision only, but not liability.

The forced insurance provided by the lender is pretty expensive. I've spoken to the credit union about it on a prior vehicle.

Thanks