sold a car--now he wants me to cover airbag costs

JaredMD

I bought a commuter car back in march(2005) and sold it in January (2006) and the guy just called me and told me that there was not an airbag in the passengers side and wants me to cover a new one at $1,000. He told me it was against the law to sell a car w/o the airbag. I bought it 5 months earlier and had no idea the airbag was even gone. He is threatening me to small claims court.

Is there really a law for this? or sold "as is"

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Tell him to go suck an egg, that is an as is type scenario.

For him to be able to collect money from you, he would have to prove that you removed the airbag, and you knowingly sold him the car without an airbag.

He has no ground to stand on, refer him to the person you bought the car from and politely tell him to leave you the hell alone.

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
Look at your bill of sale. If it is stated "vehicle sold as-is" his case wont go anywhere. If not it may get hairy.

I'd bet he needs cash and wanted to scare you into paying.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I just picked up some airbags for a 2000 pontiac sunfire. I was really surprised whewn they only cost me 90 bucks for the pair and 100.00 for the module. So less then 200 bucks to replace both airbags. You could also tell the guy, how do you know that he didn't remove it to con you?

JaredMD

the bill of sale says sold with no gaurentees and as is.

I signed the bill of sale but he did not because he was going to have his kid sign it later. never got around to it. ooooops

but the bill of sale does say sold as is.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
He would have had to submit a signed bill of sale to take posession of the title at the DMV. If it comes to that, you can get a copy of the bill of sale from the state. He can go suck an egg, he hasn't a leg to stand on.

Caleb

even if there is a law that states that it has to have an air bag it would only apply to dealers...private sales are always considered "as-is" unless otherwise stated on the bill of sale. Also, Spence, you don't need a signed bill of sale at the DMV, the last five vehicles I have bought from private parties I had bill of sales on all of them but didn't have to turn in any of them...I even asked at the counter on each one and they said they don't usually use bill of sales anymore. FWIW :D I'd tell him to send ya the court papers...bet you never hear from him.

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
I was at the DMV today getting a title put in my name. I just handed the lady the BOS, she didnt ask. I didnt really give her a chance though.

Truk

JeepFan
spencurai said:
Tell him to go suck an egg, that is an as is type scenario.

For him to be able to collect money from you, he would have to prove that you removed the airbag, and you knowingly sold him the car without an airbag.

He has no ground to stand on, refer him to the person you bought the car from and politely tell him to leave you the hell alone.

Agreed!
I watch Judge Judy everyday:D . The plaintiff has the burden to prove you intentionally misled him. She would throw the case out.(after making him cry):shawn:
That is one MEAN LADY!!

Bullet

I had one more thought. Every time you start your car the air bag system goes through a self check. The air bag light stays on while this does its thing and then goes off. I would think the SAS light would stay on if the air bag was missing. I guess that could be disabled though.

69utjeeper

Sticker Man
I had a 99 f-250 that I took out a deer with and both bags blew, I fixed the truck but didnt get the bags replaced right away and the airbag light was light on the truck, when they were replaced it was off? very questionable, he may have taken tha bag out to sell and told you to take care of it, im with the guys above how the heck do you know your airbag is missing? my trucks tore the plastic that goes over the steering wheel that covers the bag...... super odd to me i would make him take you to court, dont worry about it im tellin ya something is up with this guy...............

olywrestle

Duct Tape
maybe he was swapping in one of those super nifty (roll eyes) little steering wheels and deployed the bag, and now wants you to pay to put it back together since it is a b%$#@ to do

JaredMD

he told me that he tore the dash apart and the airbag light was disconnected. I didnt even know cars had an airbag light. I tried to call him back to tell him what I thought, but he didnt answer.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I am not a lawyer but my best legal advice for you would be to STOP talking to him ASAP!!! You never know with some of these people, they might be recording your every word and you might inadvertantly incriminate yourself. Stop talking to him, avoid his phone calls and send him on his merry way if he comes to your house.

1)I know you might think you are trying to be a nice guy but it aint your car, it aint your problem.

2)You didn't do the misdeed of disconnecting the airbag light and removing the airbags so you have nothing to worry about, stop talking to him.

3)Stop talking to him!! STOP STOP STOP, do not call him back!!

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
jeeptjstud said:
....I didnt even know cars had an airbag light.....

When you turn the key to the "ON" position the light is suppose to turn on for a second or two as a way to test that the light and bulb are working.