Solid axle swap!

My-yota

E-bays #1 customer
Does anyone know how hard a swap on a toyota is, anyone done it before? If so How much time and money U used, of course this just a estimate, I imagine it depends on different deals U get. But is it worth it..., really!? :confused: I have a toyota pu 89, I love that body style but I'm not happy with the IFS system, Just doesn't have enough flex. What about the axle, better to go Dana 44 or stock toy 8"?
Help me out.

Klif01

Do I bother you?
My-yota said:
Does anyone know how hard a swap on a toyota is, anyone done it before? If so How much time and money U used, of course this just a estimate, I imagine it depends on different deals U get. But is it worth it..., really!? :confused: I have a toyota pu 89, I love that body style but I'm not happy with the IFS system, Just doesn't have enough flex. What about the axle, better to go Dana 44 or stock toy 8"?
Help me out.

I swapped out springs for the rear of my toy which involved cutting all mounts off the frame. Imho its not that difficult. Steering wouldn't be that hard to set up if you bought a high steer kit and just get springs then go from there.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
My-yota said:
Help me out.
I've been around the said swap a few times, never done one on any rig I've owned though, so I can't comment on cost. Is it worth it? Absofrickinlutely. Prolly the single best mod you could do on your truck. I would use a Toy axle. There are some excellent (and cheap!) options for aftermarket birfields these days that will make the Toy amazingly strong. Also, you will have the same bolt pattern on the front as you do on the rear.

I helped my buddy do an SAS on his 91'. When everything was said and done, he spent more than he had planned. We travelled down to Sigurd and picked up a toy axle for $250, if you give him the IFS stuff he will give you $50 to $75 off. We had to put new bearings in both sides, steering arms, tie rod and drag link, you have to do something about the pitman arm, wheel spacers, springs, and then after all that you still need a driveline. He spent around $800 total and I modified his steering arm, pitman arm, and built him a driveline. We used a set of waggy leafs that we got for free. Great improvement though.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
dbtech01 said:
ive done a few places like www.allprooffroad.com offer complete kits for a pretty penny or just the front and rear spring brackets for kinda cheap do do hysteer makes life a lot easier do use toyota 8 for ease but definitly look into upgraded birfields do use waggy springs
!!??
Holy lack of punctuation, Batman!

chans

With a front and rear locker in my 99 Tacoma it can do trails I don't dare take it on. In my opinion a solid axle swap would only be necessary if you plan on wheeling hard core and you would have a good chance of damaging your trucks body. If you are like me and use your truck as a daily driver its good to buy an old beat up 85 or older Toyota and use that. If this is your project truck or trail only vehicle then definately put in a solid axle.

Last edited:

My-yota

E-bays #1 customer
That's a good note, as of right now I'm not too hard core, but I think sometime latr I'll be getting into that. The ifs isn't so bad just in my opinion it has alot of problems,and if time and some good deals are on my side I'll do it for sure