solidworks

troutbum

cubi-kill
anyone want to give me some SW tips? I can't figure out how to extrude round instead of square? I can make a 2d hoop and then extrude square like the first pic or I can make a single line and revolve it and it looks like the second picture but If I make a hoop and try and revolve it it looks like a flyinf saucer (third pic)

just screwing around but would like to not feel like such an idiot.
;)

Attachments

• Part1.jpg
    Part1.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Part2.jpg
    Part2.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Part3.jpg
    Part3.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 5

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Hmmm.. what version of SW are you using? I'm using 2004... I will have to play around with it and let you know... I have done it numberous time, but I can't remember without opening it up...

trpl xj

you need to do a sweep. look up sweep in the help menu and it will tell you how to do it. Basicly you sketch and line or serious of lines to get the profile that you are looking for. Then use that line as your sweep path and sweep and circle along the path. It's hard for me to explain the help menu will explain it better. Solid Works is a relatively user friendly program. I've been using it for 5 years or so and can do just about anything with it, of course it's my job to design parts in Solid Works.

tv_larsen

trpl xj said:
you need to do a sweep. look up sweep in the help menu and it will tell you how to do it. Basicly you sketch and line or serious of lines to get the profile that you are looking for. Then use that line as your sweep path and sweep and circle along the path. It's hard for me to explain the help menu will explain it better. Solid Works is a relatively user friendly program. I've been using it for 5 years or so and can do just about anything with it, of course it's my job to design parts in Solid Works.

What he said.

Like this:

Attachments

• sweep 1.JPG
    sweep 1.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 7
  • sweep 2.JPG
    sweep 2.JPG
    10.2 KB · Views: 5
  • sweep 3.JPG
    sweep 3.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 9

troutbum

cubi-kill
alright help me out here

So I draw a hoop in the front plane then what??

thanks guys, i checked the help file but wasn't much help :rofl:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
crimsonride said:
Ah, I wish I had that. Anyone want to tell me how to do the same on Pro-E?

I did a semester of Pro-E and I still have to pull out my book to do anything major with it. However with SW, I can draw up simple parts, and even do some Cosmos FEA testing on them too, much easier. Pro-E is much, much more powerful than SW, but unless you use it alot, its hard to work with.

tv_larsen

troutbum said:
thanks for the help

You got it, but you need to make sure that your profile sketch it perpendicular with the profile sketch line where it starts. Otherwise you won't sweep a real circle and you'll get eliptical tubes.

troutbum

cubi-kill
notching

so it seems you cant sweep an intersecting path, so if you want to do a cage you have to build all the individual lengths of tube as parts and build an assembly right?

so how do you notch the tubing to make the joints?

Mopar_magic

In Pro-E, you can sketch a datum curve of the part that you want to do. Then do a sweep with the diameter that you want to use. I have a cage sketched up in Pro-E, now I just need to build it. If you ever have Pro-E questions let me know. Work with it every day.

tv_larsen

troutbum said:
so it seems you cant sweep an intersecting path, so if you want to do a cage you have to build all the individual lengths of tube as parts and build an assembly right?

so how do you notch the tubing to make the joints?

That's one way, you could also sweep each individual tube w/in a single part as seperate steps.

You can notch the tubes manually by creating the appropriate sketch plane and extruding a cut through the tube, or in the assembly create a reference surface in the tube you want to use to cut another tube. It can get very complicated and is hard to explain. Do you really need to cope the tubes? I guess it depends on what you're modeling your cage for.