Some people have got guts

Stacey

My youngest son has been using my HurstJeepster to get back and forth to school (he is married and lives about 6 blocks from me). Last Friday night he had the Jeepster parked in front of his house when his neighbor (he always is sitting out front of his place smoking) saw two guys driving a truck pulling a trailer with a winch on the front of the trailer, pull across the street from the Hurst, got out and took pictures of the inside of it. This was about 11:00 pm. They drove off then returned 10 minutes later, this time pulling just infront of the Jeepster. They got out again and was taking pictures every which angle possible, inside and out. My sons neighbor thought he saw one of them doing something at the back of the trailer so he went over to talk with them. As soon as they saw him they left.

I am use to people stopping by my house and looking at my Jeepsters, even had a few take pictures, I'm sure some of you guys have had this happen too. Never have I seen anyone do this late at night. I'm pretty sure my sons neighbor thwarted these clowns from stealing the Hurst.

My son has since brought it back, he does not want the wrath of his Dad to come upon him if someone rips off my Jeepster.
On Monday I called our insurance agent to make sure it is fully insured, it is. Now I'm nervous if some one does steal it, the insurance company is going to see it as supiscious of me checking on the coverage just before a claim.

littlyota

That is spooky. Find some way to lock the gear levers so that it cannot be shifted into neutral. They were more than likely taking pictures to see what was in it and what was needed to put it in neutral to drag it.

sixstringsteve

good for his neighbor! It's nice to hear of people stepping up to stop thieves, especially when it's not their stuff getting stolen.

Cascadia

Undecided
I think you'd be fine with the insurance issue. I had something like that happen 2 years ago. I parked my restomod j20 on a vacant lot of ours because we were moving. I called to make sure I had full coverage. I did. Sometime within the next 2 weeks my truck was stolen. Insurance didn't ask a question. They paid. You might want to make sure how much they have it valued at though. I got $1328 for mine. It was worth probably 8k. They paid me off of local retail. So basically they went on ksl and found a few around 1000-1500 and averaged them and paid me that. It majorly sucked!

Hopefully your Jeepster is safe though.

Bart

I'd be stopping to take pictures also, but wouldn't run if someone came up. Glad it's in a safer place now. Nice rig.

Stacey

Have the Hurst parked out front of my house, my son is scared to loose the jeepser so he brought it back.

Last night while up watching TCM Classic movies, about 2:30,I heard a vehicles doors shut, went outside and their was the silver truck pulling away from the front of the house, no trailer in tow. Called the police, they said they will do extra patrols past the house. I also made a copy of the video our security cameras took. Unfortunately, you can not make out what they look like. I will be adjusting camera angles today. Also will be parking the Hurst under the carport for awhile.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I just read an article on the Hurst jeepsters... they said that only 100 or so of them were made... if yours is a real Hurst and not a jeepster made into a Hurst its worth some big bucks... I would have it locked up in a garage... I will look for that article and see if I can post it up on here...

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I think it's time for some booby traps. There was a thread on pirate about a BMW mechanic who set booby traps for theives who were stealing his stuff. Fun read.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I've always liked steering wheel locks. They are cheap. Keep it under your carport with the wheels cranked one way or the other then put the lock on.

Stacey

I just read an article on the Hurst jeepsters... they said that only 100 or so of them were made... if yours is a real Hurst and not a jeepster made into a Hurst its worth some big bucks... I would have it locked up in a garage... I will look for that article and see if I can post it up on here...

You are correct, there were only 100 made and there are 73 that can currently be accounted for. Yes, both of mine are true Hurst editions.

Stacey

I found the article... it was in the Jan 2012 JP magazine... on page 54....

The picture of the Hurst on the cover page of Jp was suppose to be of mine but didn't get the pics to them soon enough. They ended up using a friend of mine, Russel Whitkup. He bought the stripe kit and hood scoop from me, I bought the hood tach from him

Last edited:

Stacey

Have the Hurst parked out front of my house, my son is scared to loose the jeepser so he brought it back.

Last night while up watching TCM Classic movies, about 2:30,I heard a vehicles doors shut, went outside and their was the silver truck pulling away from the front of the house, no trailer in tow. Called the police, they said they will do extra patrols past the house. I also made a copy of the video our security cameras took. Unfortunately, you can not make out what they look like or a license plate. I will be adjusting camera angles today. Also will be parking the Hurst under the carport for awhile with another car behind it. The dirty Sons of Bitches....

rambrush

I would take a guess that the thieves have a request to locate a particular vehicle. In this case it happens to be yours and they are taking pictures to send back to there client confirming this is the one they want. Then if it is they have to attempt to get it and deliver to there client.

sixstringsteve

maybe you can plant a tracking device on it. That'd be sweet. This kind of behavior makes me sick. If you don't want to work hard for something, just go and take it from someone else who has.