Some People Say I Have a Nice Rack

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Having chosen to build my Samurai for expedition use one of the most pressing issues I had to deal with was that of storage space. The obvious solution to this dilemma was to get a roof rack. After looking at the available racks on the market for the Samurai I decided to have one custom built.

The man I turned to for this project was the venerable Carl Whitmore. I envisioned a very simple rack made out of 1" DOM tubing. The only thing special that I wanted was a way to secure two Scepter cans. Carl's imagination led him to build a much more exciting rack than I had hoped. With dimpled side braces and a raked front it reminds me of an updated Con-Ferr rack.

Driver.jpg

For mounting the rack we picked up some Kargo Master gutter mounts for Cherokee's rather than trying to build custom gutter mounts for the Samurai. They are a little big, but I think that they look fine.

Mount.jpg

The most unique aspect of the whole rack is the Scepter can holder. It's basically just a box, but with the dimpled bottom and the way that it mounts with the two hooks on the back and tabbed mounts on the front it is pretty clever.

Scepter-Can-Mount.jpg

Can-Mount-unsecure.jpg

Can-mount-tab.jpg

Cam-Mount-Secure.jpg

I'm very pleased with it and can't wait to use it on my trip to the Arizona Strip next week. If you want to check it out up close and personal it will be at the Expedition Utah booth during the TeraFlex show at Miller Motorsports Park this Saturday.

More pictures:

Front.jpg

Passenger-Front-Quarter.jpg

Driver-Rear-Quarter.jpg

Scepter-Secure.jpg

Gear-Passenger.jpg

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Carl let you hang out with him? Nice rack! Too clean for your rig. Better let it sit in the sun and fade a bit. ;)

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Carl let you hang out with him? Nice rack! Too clean for your rig. Better let it sit in the sun and fade a bit. ;)

Carl only lets me hang out with him when I pay him. :(

Yeah, it does draw attention to the condition of my paint/body. That is now the next priority. Should have the rear quarters patched this summer and hopefully new paint in the fall. We shall see how that pans out.

scootrrydr

Missing the most important question still....

How much is something like this going for? Just the rack....or is it just a one off custom job?

I like it very much! (and need one)

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor

How much is something like this going for? Just the rack....or is it just a one off custom job?

It's a one-off, since nobody in their right mind makes anything for the tin-top Samurai's. :)

Stephen

Who Dares Wins

As I said in the initial post, it was custom built for me. Fortunately Carl works for peso's and lunches, so it worked out well for me. :D

It's a one-off, since nobody in their right mind makes anything for the tin-top Samurai's. :)

Nobody in their right mind decides to use their tin-top Samurai for expeditions either. I like being a nonconformist!

spencevans

Overlander
It looks alot like the Defender rack on my Mitsubishi. Very fine workmanship. The rack on my Mitsu is actually intended for a UTV application but because the Mitsu is soooo small it work great. Did you ever check with defender about their racks?
picture.php

redneckbronco

I want one for my Tin Top! Ive been looking and thinking of building my own but that is just what im looking for! How much will that hold? an ice chest some water and a tent or two? and will the gain gutters hold up?