Something for diesel lovers!

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Holy crap! That's insane.

The thing that surprised me the most (besides 20+ blowers on a V series :rofl:) was that I couldn't see any hearing protection worn by anyone. I don't know if you guy's have been around the Detroit 2 strokes much but they are so LOUD its stupid even with mufflers!!!!!! :ugh: They have to be deaf that's the only explanation ;)

I was surprised there were no turbo's. Most people turbocharge and supercharge these motors as many of them came that way from the factory.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(

The thing that surprised me the most (besides 20+ blowers on a V series :rofl:) was that I couldn't see any hearing protection worn by anyone. I don't know if you guy's have been around the Detroit 2 strokes much but they are so LOUD its stupid even with mufflers!!!!!! :ugh: They have to be deaf that's the only explanation ;)

I was surprised there were no turbo's. Most people turbocharge and supercharge these motors as many of them came that way from the factory.

Everyone had green ear plugs in their ears... and there was a single turbo on the one pipe at the bottom... it probably pushed air to the intercooler...

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Ha! We just had our haul truck rebuilt to 700hp. Now we can't seem to keep rear ends in it.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin

I'm back to running the old railroad bruschutter at work for a couple weeks, which is powered by a Detroit 8-71 with a supercharger and a turbo. We HAVE to wear hearing protection inside the machine, that thing screams so damn loud and it honestly sounds like it's going to scatter parts when you give it full throttle. :ugh:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
For what it is, I have to say I'm unimpressed. They have recently discovered a device called a turbo, that makes a lot more power without as much drag as a blower (not to mention no beard eating belts).
Here's one with 2/3 the number of cylinders, and 300 less cubic inches, reliably making 2800hp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haA_RR1_K4g

wow I can't imagine that's reliable...
but I can't imagine doing donunts on dry pavement in a semi truck tractor either!:rofl: That is sick~! :eek: :greg:

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
^ I'm blind :(

I see what looks to be a centrifugal coolant pump that could be mistaken for a turbo...?
The exhaust is all open headers, so there is no way to run a turbo on it... It is interesting that they ran it that way though. I'd think the turbo route would be a lot more efficient than the blowers. The blowers do look neat though.:)

4x4_Welder

Detroits and most other two stroke diesels need blowers for low rpm scavenging, and that is one of the reasons why most use more fuel per hp produced vs a four stroke.
Detroits equipped with turbos usually have a bypass valve that opens once the turbo is producing boost to just take the blower out of the system.
I do love the sound of a Detroit winding out, though. I remember years back when the woods behind my house were being logged, hearing those skidders straining up the hill was just wild. They sounded like they were flying, but really were only going about 1/2mph, making 4' deep ruts through the marsh.