Sorry, Joe...

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
... but they haven't captured, killed, or wounded me yet. HA!

So after a huge pain in the ass waiting on Uncle Sam to get us here, and a really stellar ride over on a 777 (seriously, that was a SWEET plane, and the in-flight entertainment was off the chain! Stunning service! Economy tickets were $1800 each though.. :eek:), all of us arrived safely in Afghanistan.

Highlights you say?

-- the ride over on the 777, top notch!
-- the enormous airport in Qatar, at least 4x bigger than you'd expect
-- being stamped in by a veiled woman with henna hand tattoos
-- sleeping in huge air-conditioned tents
-- nearly hitting a camel at 80mph on the way to the base in Qatar
-- the painfully bright sun on the nearly-white dirt/sand in Qatar
-- flying in a C-130, in full body armor and helmet
-- taking a crap on the C-130, on the weird elevated, thronelike pot in the back of the plane
-- the sweet combat landing from hell, so steep a drop that I was weightless for a bit, yee ha
-- seeing enormous military equipment all over the freakin' place (the 36-hole Hummer rims are sweet, and so are the MRAPs.. and the Tooele-made armored 2.5 and 5-ton trucks are neat too.. and the planes and the Apaches. :D )
-- Food in the mess hall! It's damn good and I am not kidding.
-- not being assigned a roommate for the time being. I like that very much
-- the work we are going to be doing is going to be INTENSE and it's going to be close. The finished product is absolutely vital to the is country's defenses. :D
-- Lots of newer Land Cruiser wagon things, and military Mercedes G-Wagens. If I can, I'm going to buy some FJ40 soft-top bows... not sure how things work here yet though.... :D Now that I'm mentioning it a lot of strange vehicles are afoot here-- my favorites are the lifted, 4-door Toyota Tacoma-looking things with the tiny rear beds and the mutant 3/4 scale Ford Ranger things, on the tiny 12" rims LOL

Lowlights?

-- 2 people were killed a couple days ago, by a remotely-launched, coordinated mortar attack. Mortars suck! and we are pretty damn close to the perimeter-- I can see houses when we walk to the mess tent. I don't like that. :ugh:
-- We're REALLY, REALLY far from home
-- it's hot... ish
-- there is one guy on my crew that might not make it home, as he complains without END and we may kill him and bury him out here.
-- being able to see the awesome landscape but not go out into it.

Overall it's pretty mellow here right now. We are not in any real danger where we are, despite our proximity to the perimeter.. and there are a LOT of armed people around, at all times. Pics when I can get them. :D

Bart

Good luck Tacoma, and get your butt safely back here. That must be quite the experience but stay as safe as you can.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Well good luck over there. And you are right Afghanistan is gorgeous especially when the mountains get covered in snow. Well stay safe over there.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Glad to hear you're on the ground safely brotherman... If you don't send pics I'm never giving you anymore beer...

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I saw some camel spiders tonight and I f***ing HATE THEM. They are the single creepiest thing I've seen to date. They are super-aggressive, large, and wicked fast! they run right at you with their front legs up. Apparently they have quite a bite, too-- though the rotten banana pics floating around the net are not from a camel spider. :D The ones we saw had 5-6" bodies, probably the size of my hand.

I am fabricating a spider can out of some rebar tomorrow if I can. I must catch and keep one for the duration of my stay... but they are horrifying and just thinking about them kind of freaks me out. Doesn't help that we havent' seen any during the day... or that tomorrow we're moving a bunch of I-beams. :D

I have been appointed wildlife wrangler here. :D I am hoping to catch some snakes too, but we'll probably eat those. At least I will. :D The spiders, I don't know.. they're just WRONG.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I should know what I can take pictures of tomorrow sometime...

it's 11:30pm here so I'm off to catch some rest, it's been a crazy trip getting here. :D

CJ Matt

Watch out for the scorpions and centipedes too. If you are sleeping in a tent shake out your boots before you put them on!

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
good to hear you made it safely :cool:
now you just need to stay safe :D

x2!

Oh, my dad finally fired up that motor with the Hilborn injection setup and your old Holley fuel injection computer. :D

You can kind of see the 8 little SS fuel lines running about. The stacks are custom made jobbers with fuel injector bungs on the sides of them. The Holley computer he got from you, just batch fires all 8 injectors at once. The injectors are 33? lbhr and aren't big enough for the 327 they are on - all of the fuel enrichment controls are nearly maxed out. Anyway, sorry for the hijack ;) But I keep forgetting to send you these pictures and when I saw this thread, I remembered...

Attachments

• 2009_0615_orangehotrod_09.jpg
    2009_0615_orangehotrod_09.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 24