SOS, need toyota hub socket

F0X3

My family and I are traveling through Utah and our truck borke down. I need to replace some wheel bearings but don't have a hub socket. If there is anyone here in Provo (anywhere) that has a hub socket that I can barrow please let me know. Call 208-409-3299

thanks

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I have a couple dozen in Sandy... 54mm, 76-97' Land Cruisers & solid axle mini trucks/4Runners. If you can't get to Sandy, I could likely drum up a customer in Utah County that I know has one... LMK

F0X3

Things didn't work out with cruiseroutfit so if anyone has one please let me know. I can drive to pick it up so let me know even if you are not in Provo. it's the 54mm hub socket.

Last edited:

suisuki

Chrome Won't Get ya' home
I'll second the hammer and chisle/screwdriver, those nuts should be less than (I think) 20 foot pound and should come off easy, I've used this method many times with great sucess. Also, a large pare of channel lock pliers usually does the trick too.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
You can get them off with a hammer/punch/drift, but you can't properly set the preload on or tighten to spec (they are a double spindle nut design) without the socket IMO. I've seen way too many messed up wheel bearings, spindles and hubs to not spend the $16 on a socket ;)

While AutoZone, etc has many varieties of axle/spindle sockets, they've never had a thin-walled 54mm, you can grind down a $30 Crafstman one, or just buy the one made for it.

I'm around if your interested still... give me a call 8015183837

F0X3

thanks to everyone that helped and offered advice. We ended up using the hammer and chisel method and it worked pretty well. We only have 200 more miles to go so with fresh bearings we should be all set. Thanks again and happy holidays