Source for a inexpensive CO2 regulator?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm putting together a on-board CO2 tank and need a cheap CO2 regulator. I'm looking for a regulator in the 150 PSI range and have no need for gauges.

I have been looking at the writeup by Stu Olson, here- http://www.stu-offroad.com/recovery/co2/co2-1.htm

He found some inexpensive regulators at Williams Balloons, but after clicking on the link in his write-up, their site seems to be dead. I'm looking for something similar to what they offered, seen in the pics on Stu's site. IICR the regulators were about $60-75.

Any other suggestions out there?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I've picked up a handful of them from BEVCO in SLC, they sell re-furbed ones. I've never asked for one sans guages so I don't know what they have in that regards but all my others have worked fine. They are not "hi-flow" regulators in the tense of airing up tires, but they work just fine. After 6-8 fillups the regulator will start to freeze up, but then again I'm running it right at ~120 PSI, I think if I backed it off to say 80 PSI it would warm up a bit :D

Its one thing when the regulator freezes, when the entire bottle freezes you know its cold :eek:
HITR%20097%20%28Small%29.jpg

(no brother in laws were harmed in the taking of that picture ;))

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
scooreman on utah offroad club got me a 150psi regulator for $35 a few years ago (no gauges)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Jake @ Airgas might be able to score some good regulators too. I would still like to find a true hi-flow regulator that won't freeze up.

Greg

Admin
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think the one Bob posted is what I'm going to get, looks like it will be prefect!

Since we're on CO2 tanks... anyone know where to get a guard for the top? Like pictured?

co2-1.jpg

I could probably find the local bottling/welding business, but thought I might as well ask here.

I've picked up a handful of them from BEVCO in SLC, they sell re-furbed ones. I've never asked for one sans guages so I don't know what they have in that regards but all my others have worked fine. They are not "hi-flow" regulators in the tense of airing up tires, but they work just fine. After 6-8 fillups the regulator will start to freeze up, but then again I'm running it right at ~120 PSI, I think if I backed it off to say 80 PSI it would warm up a bit :D

Its one thing when the regulator freezes, when the entire bottle freezes you know its cold :eek:
HITR%20097%20%28Small%29.jpg

(no brother in laws were harmed in the taking of that picture ;))

:rofl: Did he have a hard time getting unstuck?

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
universal cylinders sells some super cheap ones. he gave me a broken one for free and I bought a rebuilt kit from the beernut for $9.50

ask meat about how "heavy" my CO2 tank was in St. George.
it froze to the wet concrete and he couldn't lift it up is was so "heavy"

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Greg, I can get you the tank guard and regulator for a good deal, a tank too and mount if you want. PM me for price. I get all of the source stuff. offroadair.net I think. I don't really sell them I just can get them cheap.

I can get the guard like pictured or one of the cool tube ones if you want.

Greg

Admin
A little bit, nothing like Christmas Story though. Oh well, I was out $10 he was out some skin on his tongue :D The moral of the story, CO2 bottles are useless when camping in 10* weather. :greg:

:rofl:

Greg, I can get you the tank guard and regulator for a good deal, a tank too and mount if you want. PM me for price. I get all of the source stuff. offroadair.net I think. I don't really sell them I just can get them cheap.

I can get the guard like pictured or one of the cool tube ones if you want.

I'll PM ya, I already bought the regulator Bob posted but I could use the guard & a tank mount.

40_Below

Hey Greg or anyone else looking for an inexpensive regulator, there is one made by Western Enterprises, which you can get at most welding supply shops. (They might have to order it) You could probably also find it online.

I bought one for myself a year or so ago and it was about $30. It works great.

Here's a pic to show what they look like, and the different part #'s they have.

attachment.php

Attachments

• reg.JPG
    reg.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 97

mesha

By endurance we conquer
well, now I am a vendor. I can get the regulators or brackets or complete systems if you want them. Let me know what you need.