Trip Report South Fork to Bear Lake Aug 2023

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I posted this on Expedition Utah too, but I know some aren't on both platforms.

A buddy of mine, Tuan, was in town for a day and wanted to get out to see why I was always out on weekends when we worked together. I put together a plan that would allow us to camp Friday night, get some awesome scenery with an option for some semi-serious wheeling, and still get him to SLC in time for his flight out Saturday night.

Tuan arrived at my house earlier than expected Friday night, around 6:30, but we chatted for a minute and waited for another buddy, Robert, to arrive so we could head to camp. After a quick stop for last minute groceries and fire wood, we cruised up to my family property in South Fork canyon, east of Huntsville.

We set up camp, got a fire going, and cooked dinner while chatting and enjoying the cool temps.

I setup my usual bed in the cruiser while I setup a tent with multiple amenities for Tuan. He hadn't camped since he was 5 in his recollection. Robert was at home in his RTT.

IMG_5628.JPG

IMG_9198.jpg

The river is still running high, and cold, for August. It was relaxing listening to it as we unwound around the fire.
IMG_0785.jpg

After watching a lightning show to the north, and enjoying the conversation until around midnight, we retired to our beds for a great night's sleep in the cool mountain air.

We awoke Saturday, got camp cleaned up, and set course for the trailhead at Ant Flat road. There, we aired down and prepared to make our way to Bear Lake via dirt roads.

Once in Hardware Ranch, there are multiple routes that go to Cache Valley or Bear Lake. We opted to take the Hells Hollow - Danish Dugway road with some side trips off of that. One section is one of my favorite drives in the state. It isn't long, but you drive through a stunning canyon with views on both sides that are just spectacular!

Dropping down to the Hollow.
IMG_9215.jpg

Here is teaser of the canyon...
IMG_9227.jpg

We took a route I hadn't been on before, and it was definitely the road less traveled. I will certainly be back!

IMG_5632.JPG

Working our way north, we had some time for some extra adventure. We decided to head out to Temple Peak and the overlook. The trail was pretty overgrown in spots, and the rain the night before made the rocks fairly slick. We picked our way through the trees, up an over the climbs, cleared a couple of downed trees, and were rewarded at the end with an amazing view!

The Lake was in view as we worked our way to Temple Peak.
IMG_5634.JPG

Pics don't do it justice (as they rarely do), but Tuan wanted to get a pic of the trucks crawling over the rocks. He had never been wheeling before and was amazed at the places and trails we were taking. It is fun introducing people to new experiences!

IMG_9235.jpg

Tree #1 on the trail that we cleared.
IMG_9233.jpg

Tree #2 that we cleared.
IMG_9245.jpg

Last edited:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
The views from the overlook, with Cache Valley off in the distance.
IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_5643.JPG

IMG_5639.JPG

After eating some lunch and soaking in the views, we returned to the Sinks Road and made another detour up to Peter Sinks. I have been in the area many times, but had never recorded my track on Gaia. We did the loop and found the weather station where they consistently record the coldest temperatures in the lower 48. We watched from a distance as the Forest Service Firefighters fell and burned a dead tree.

Another view of the lake from the ridgeline.
IMG_5644.JPG

Wanting to get a raspberry shake in Garden City, we dropped off the peaks, back to Sinks Road, and made our way to pavement. We opted to air up at the welcome center 1/2 mile up the road at the summit. I got a neat surprise when Dan Cressal showed up, @notajeep on here. We visited briefly and it was great to see him!

Poser shot of Robert and Tuan after airing up.
IMG_5647.JPG

With full tires and an itch for food, we descended to Garden City where we could top off the gas tanks, and get a famous Bear Lake Raspberry Shake.

With our ice cream urge satisfied, we buzzed over to Logan, then down home. I dropped Tuan at the airport and called it a day.

A great way to spend the weekend: amazing views, cool temperatures, Land Cruisers, & awesome friends. Life doesn't get much better!