Southern Nevada Wheeling-Cabin canyon-Logandale

pumpkinbronc

ONETONPUMPKIN
Well we had a blast last weekend, cabin canyon definatley won the battle. We got a late start on saturday and started up the trail at around noon. We didnt quite make it to the top, we had a samurai with a broken leaf spring, and a Eb with a broken axle. After we fixed the axle he broke it again and in the process managed to dislodge the ball joints. It was about 3:30 a.m. the next morning when we rolled into camp. It was a little cold and wet but definately fun.
Logandale was not as eventful but fun, we found a couple of more trails with some killer obstacles. Heres a link to some pics.

http://www.utah4x4club.com/index.php?showtopic=685&pid=6020&st=0&#entry6020

VideoRunner

What would you rate the Cabin Canyon trail at?

Don

pumpkinbronc said:
Well we had a blast last weekend, cabin canyon definatley won the battle. We got a late start on saturday and started up the trail at around noon. We didnt quite make it to the top, we had a samurai with a broken leaf spring, and a Eb with a broken axle. After we fixed the axle he broke it again and in the process managed to dislodge the ball joints. It was about 3:30 a.m. the next morning when we rolled into camp. It was a little cold and wet but definately fun.
Logandale was not as eventful but fun, we found a couple of more trails with some killer obstacles. Heres a link to some pics.

http://www.utah4x4club.com/index.php?showtopic=685&pid=6020&st=0&#entry6020

pumpkinbronc

ONETONPUMPKIN
VideoRunner said:
What would you rate the Cabin Canyon trail at?

Don

I would say the lower half is a 3, the upperhalf is a 4+, large tires and good ground clearance help ease the pain. Some people refer to this trail as the upper and lower Gauntlet.

Dad

Pictures of trail

Heres a couple picture of the trails.

Attachments

• P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 54
  • P1010030.JPG
    P1010030.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 44

trailxj

what trails are those? i recognize one as rock bottom, but the others i dont recognize, would be interested as to where those are in logandale.

the spots in these two pics
post-314-1143259715_thumb.jpg

post-314-1143259609_thumb.jpg

heres a couple sweet waterfalls we found last weekend. The second one wooped us pretty good. you have to make it up the two steps then hang a left where the guy in the yellow hat is, then go up a steep slickrock face. My wheelbase was perfectly wrong. haha. couldnt get up the two steps. perhaps a short wheel base rig could give it a better shot.

lowerone.jpg

bigone.jpg

kirk86CJ

I would also like to know. We found Rock Bottom, and Bronco Falls. They were both good, fun trails, but I got the impression they were the best two down there. Are there others that are similar?

Thanks
Kirk

pumpkinbronc

ONETONPUMPKIN
trailxj said:
what trails are those? i recognize one as rock bottom, but the others i dont recognize, would be interested as to where those are in logandale.

the spots in these two pics
post-314-1143259715_thumb.jpg

post-314-1143259609_thumb.jpg

heres a couple sweet waterfalls we found last weekend. The second one wooped us pretty good. you have to make it up the two steps then hang a left where the guy in the yellow hat is, then go up a steep slickrock face. My wheelbase was perfectly wrong. haha. couldnt get up the two steps. perhaps a short wheel base rig could give it a better shot.

The first pic with the bronco in the bowl is just a bowl that some atvs tried to climb near the petroglyphs, the second pic is from a trail that is located about a 1/2 mile past the fork in the road after the crapper and picnic tables. Take the right leg of the fork and go about a half mile and its on the right. Is the rock bottom trail the one located just below the crapper? I dont know the official names of any of the trails but would be happy to show anybody around the ones I do know.
Trailxj, is that a Vegas Valley Four Wheelers sticker on your fender? Do you live in vegas or around Logandale?

Just as a sidenote, some guys from the GRIMM JEEPERS of Las Vegas went up cabin canyon (Upper gauntlet) on april first and made it up over the top, with the mud and stuff they had to winch in a couple of spots but were able to go all the way, if your up for a very challenging trail put it on your to do list.

Last edited:

trailxj

pumpkinbronc said:
The first pic with the bronco in the bowl is just a bowl that some atvs tried to climb near the petroglyphs, the second pic is from a trail that is located about a 1/2 mile past the fork in the road after the crapper and picnic tables. Take the right leg of the fork and go about a half mile and its on the right.

so you you take the road through the canyon part, where all the atvers camp and stuff? past where you turn to go out to the dunes?

pumpkinbronc said:
Is the rock bottom trail the one located just below the crapper? I dont know the official names of any of the trails but would be happy to show anybody around the ones I do know.

To get to rock bottom you turn left into the wash just after the pavement ends after the crappers, then like 1/8 of a mile down the wash you turn right. The start is a pretty good slickrock obstacle, Ive seen pics of you guys on that one. The other trail you mention that is below the crappers is called the Shitter trail (for obvious reasons) and you can get into it from both ends either off the paved section of road, or follow the dirt road out of the crapper parking lot, hang a couple lefts and start at the other end. I usually like to go in the paved road side and run it out and back.

pumpkinbronc said:
Trailxj, is that a Vegas Valley Four Wheelers sticker on your fender? Do you live in vegas or around Logandale?

i used to be a member, i didnt pay the dues this year, so not officially a member anymore, just havent removed the sticker. I am from vegas and we have a small group called the UFO's that wheel together.

pumpkinbronc said:
Just as a sidenote, some guys from the GRIMM JEEPERS of Las Vegas went up cabin canyon (Upper gauntlet) on april first and made it up over the top, with the mud and stuff they had to winch in a couple of spots but were able to go all the way, if your up for a very challenging trail put it on your to do list.

I have seen the pictures and the talk about that one. We will definatly have to try that trail one of these days.

trailxj

kirk86CJ said:
I would also like to know. We found Rock Bottom, and Bronco Falls. They were both good, fun trails, but I got the impression they were the best two down there. Are there others that are similar?

Thanks
Kirk

The waterfalls (plus one i didnt post) i posted above are definatly hard, harder than rock bottom. like i said #2 wooped us both. But its more like three obstacles than a trail, a dirt road runs next to all of them so its easy to get the top of all of them. We are going to call them the "three wise men" unless we can find someone else who knows if another name exists.

Im very interesting in exploring the are more thouroughly. everything else in the vegas valley is slowly being either closed or built on. we're running out of places to wheel.

pumpkinbronc

ONETONPUMPKIN
trailxj said:
so you you take the road through the canyon part, where all the atvers camp and stuff? past where you turn to go out to the dunes?

Yep, just stay to the right after the pavement ends, look for a canyon that runs up to the right, its a pretty easy trail, kinda a primer if ya will. Heres a pic of a waterfall that pops out right next to the sandune area. I dont know if its part of the trail but we ended up here at the end of the Bronco hill trail, I think?

Attachments

• post-314-1144987044_thumb.jpg
    post-314-1144987044_thumb.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 3
  • post-314-1144987088_thumb.jpg
    post-314-1144987088_thumb.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 6

trailxj

yeah thats the "third" wiseman...waterfall its at the end of Rock bottom. The other two big ones are below that one. If you follow the road out, the other ones are on the right side of the road.