Southwest Crawlfest... what went wrong?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I got another PM from Steve Crabtree, he said he will have a response to the questions by Thursday evening.

Personally, I'm not sure why it will take him so long to answer the questions that have already been laid out. They would be easier to manage one by one, as they come. Oh well, let's hope we get some answers. In the mean time, lets keep this thread on track.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
If I were to organize a land-use event, I would do the following:
- No food, t-shirts, advertising, hats, beanies, etc. or any unnecessary fees/money exchanging
- set up a system of checks and balances
- keep meticulous records, especially where donations, raffles, etc are used
- have people from each land-use org there to meet and greet
- explain the fees and costs up front, before and after. Complete transparency with the numbers.

Problem is, you need the shirts, hats etc to raise money as well. You will make just as much selling shwag. Without advertising nobody will know about the event. Most groups that hold these events keep good records, have checks and balances, and know exactly where there money is. Usually all cost are upfront, I know when I go to EJS how much I am going to spend.

There were a few downsides last year:
- the trails were too packed
- there were added last-minute regulations like flags, or extra insurance or park entrance fees, or something like that. I don't remember the exact specifics.
there would not have been any last minute additions last year if someone had done their homework, made the proper contacts, and informed participants like they should have done.

SWCF and WOTR both have the ability to rival EJS after time, but they need to be more organized. Which are things that come with time.

Problem with SWCF is that only one person was truly in charge, and there is nobody else to back up his stories.
Lack of planning, lack of organization, lack of fore sight. And most importantly, lack of follow through. By all parties involved.

pELYgroso

'Merica
I hate all the drama associated with a situation like this but like others, I hate even more the black eye that this gives the off-road community. From a future sponsoring vendor (to various different events) I really hope that this mess is cleaned up so that our sport can be preserved!

Looking forward to hearing from Steve!....

TRNDRVR

IMA BUM
I've told him that it would be best for him to post up, come clean and admit in public that mistakes were made, not by sending PM's to a handful of people.
This *link* just might light the necessary fire.

There's so many ways to handle this situation, if in fact all said info is found to be correct, that can nip this right now and hopefully in the future.

I hope that somebody with the proper legal connections, more then likely one of the said organizations, has the testicle fortitude to report all suspected activities to the proper authorities.

Lets not patronize this guy because he was "overwhelmed" by what he took on alone. I'm a true believer that if a crime has been committed....... :-\

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I hope that somebody with the proper legal connections, more then likely one of the said organizations, has the testicle fortitude to report all suspected activities to the proper authorities.

Sure looks like that's the way this is going. ;) Steve really, really needs to make things right.

Cruiser

look what i can do!!
I got another PM from Steve Crabtree, he said he will have a response to the questions by Thursday evening.

Personally, I'm not sure why it will take him so long to answer the questions that have already been laid out. They would be easier to manage one by one, as they come. Oh well, let's hope we get some answers. In the mean time, lets keep this thread on track.

Eagerly awaiting his reply. :ugh:

del0075

the # given was 276, maybe it was 274. cant remember for sure but it was there within a couple.

so how many new members for....

u4
usa-all
blue ribbon
united 4 wheel

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Apparently Steve found some more U4 names

new totals: U4: 79
USA-ALL: 10
BRC: 0
total: 89
deficit: -184 or -187

Still waiting on names and the rest of the money.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
My biggest question is how much Money DID he Receive as donations for the "Land Use Raffle?" Ever Pennie of that legally needs to be turned over to the Clubs mentioned. Winter on the rocks has a final count of over $2600. I am sure with the bigger prizes and turn out that southwest crawlfest had it would be at least double or triple that. I know many are anxiously waiting for Thursday and his final numbers over a month after his event was finished.

del0075

My biggest question is how much Money DID he Receive as donations for the "Land Use Raffle?" Ever Pennie of that legally needs to be turned over to the Clubs mentioned. Winter on the rocks has a final count of over $2600. I am sure with the bigger prizes and turn out that southwest crawlfest had it would be at least double or triple that. I know many are anxiously waiting for Thursday and his final numbers over a month after his event was finished.

that is not our final count, the 2678.00 is just from the raffle, there will be more. i am meeting with the blm tomorrow to give them our registered number and then we will see what we owe them. and then we will have a total.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
So someone give us a quick run down of where all the money came from and where it should be going. As I read this it seems like all the money should be going straight to the clubs, ect. Where does the needed money come from to pay for the event?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Where does the needed money come from to pay for the event?
It should come from the registrations, T-shirt sales, concessions or whatever else......but not from a raffle. In Utah, raffles are a slippery slope when it comes to skirting the law. You are not allowed to sell a ticket for a chance, but you could give someone a ticket for a donation to a cause, or charity. In the instance of the SWCF, I got 150 tickets for a $100 donation to the land use raffle.

TheBigSgt

Rep Big Horn 4x4
Steve, if you like, you can simply make copies of all the registration and send them to me and then I can send the right information to the right groups. That would be quick and easy and one less thing you have to handle.