Spacers? Yes or no?

Tebbsjeep

I ran into a rubbing issue with my new tires on my jeep. They rub on the rear leaf springs just barely. I only need to space them out about 1.5 inches. What is everybody's opinion either for or against using bolt on spacers? I know the best option would be to get new rims, but that is a lot of money. Plus I like the rims I already have.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I have been running spacers on our off road trailer for 3 years and that thing rides rough and bounces around far more than the rig towing it, never had an issue with any of the nuts coming loose and wouldn't hesitate to run them on a Jeep.

amp713

More people use them than you would imagine and they dont have issues. Do not use "spacers" use width changing adapters. A spacer is a piece that just behind the rim and rides over the lugs and is illegal in utah, but an adapter acutlaly mounts to stock lug nuts then uses separate lugs to hold the tire and are considered legal

chicken77

throttle jockey
I run "adapters" on my 03 Duramax and have not had issue, I also ran 1.5" spacers on my 93 toyota sas for 6 years without issue. Just use loctite, proper torque and you will be fine.

Trate D

I run 1.5 spacers in the front and hate to admit it 3 inch spacers on the rear. With regular checks of the lug nuts I haven't ever had an issue in the 3 yrs they have been on there.

Tebbsjeep

Are all of you guys using blue loctite? I imagine red is way to strong to use on lugs, but maybe that's just me. Also are you using name brands? I have found some on amazon that are about half of the cost, and the company seems to have a good reputation. In my mind, aerospace aluminum is just as strong no matter who's name is on the label. Or should I pass on the cheaper ones? This is my first experience needing adapters.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Spidertrax sends red loctite with their adapters and is what I'm using. They are a bear to remove if you need to but its possible.

amp713

I wouldnt use red loctite if it was me.... Just experience of if something can go wrong it will and the idea of having a harder time getting off a tire doesnt make it fun. If you cant get them to hold with a torque wrench and proper torque its probably not a quality product but maybe thats just me

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Are all of you guys using blue loctite? I imagine red is way to strong to use on lugs, but maybe that's just me. Also are you using name brands? I have found some on amazon that are about half of the cost, and the company seems to have a good reputation. In my mind, aerospace aluminum is just as strong no matter who's name is on the label. Or should I pass on the cheaper ones? This is my first experience needing adapters.

Mine are an off brand and had no issues in 3 years as I mentioned.

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
I run them on my Toyota, no problems. I have known others who run them on DD's without issues. Just make sure you torque them and get hub centric spacers for better fitment if possible. I don't think lock tight will hurt, but it shouldn't be needed if installed properly either.

Tebbsjeep

Thanks for all of the input guys. It's calmed my nerves a bit hearing how many of you run adapters without issue. I'll probably order a set for my jeep in next couple of days.

Tebbsjeep

Did any of you have to install longer wheel studs? I have to use a 1.5in spacer up front to clear the wheel studs, but my rear studs are shorter and I'm wondering if they will have to be changed out.

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
You shouldn't need to but might have to depending on the brand. A good rule of thumb is if you can mount a aluminum wheel to it the spacer should be the same or close to it.

scrogg

Enjoying the Drive
on the flip side, you want to make sure that your studs are not to long and not allowing the wheel to mount flush to the adapter(s). If this is the case you will need to grind the studs down enough to allow proper fit up