Spammers!!!

?JMAMA

Formerly YJMAMA
The only thing that sucks more are "friends" who keep giving your info to telemarketers that won't stop calling. :mad2:

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
mbryson said:
they SUCK!!!.....that is all....

They?!? You do realize most of the most there is no "they" behind them. Like most website hacks, spam is just a script someone wrote and released in an effort to annoy other people. 90% of the time they don't even know they are sending to your address. They find a domain and send a million or so emails with common account names to that domain in hopes of hitting a few real ones. Most good hosting companies, now days, have spam blockers like spam assassin to help reduce (note: I didn't say stop) the amount of spam the average account receives.

95jeepgrndchke

XJMAMA said:
The only thing that sucks more are "friends" who keep giving your info to telemarketers that won't stop calling. :mad2:
Just get your "freinds" info and sign them up for all the drawings you can, my buddy got free karate out of it :D

?JMAMA

Formerly YJMAMA
95jeepgrndchke said:
Just get your "freinds" info and sign them up for all the drawings you can, my buddy got free karate out of it :D

I am thinking about finding an Amway sales person to give their info to. :)

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Webby said:
They?!? You do realize most of the most there is no "they" behind them. Like most website hacks, spam is just a script someone wrote and released in an effort to annoy other people. 90% of the time they don't even know they are sending to your address. They find a domain and send a million or so emails with common account names to that domain in hopes of hitting a few real ones. Most good hosting companies, now days, have spam blockers like spam assassin to help reduce (note: I didn't say stop) the amount of spam the average account receives.

I'm just in the middle of reconfiguring our SPAM filter (using 'SPAMAssasin' among others) on the server. It's getting better, but it's been a 'fun' couple of days.

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
mbryson said:
I'm just in the middle of reconfiguring our SPAM filter (using 'SPAMAssasin' among others) on the server. It's getting better, but it's been a 'fun' couple of days.

I feel for ya. Before I installed spam filters I was receiving about 2500 per day on each of my accounts :( I receive several thousand real email, the extra was just killing the servers.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
XJMAMA said:

I ask my 4 year old if he wants to talk on the phone and have them talk to him, OR I just act interested for a second and let them get into their schpeeel and then put the phone down and go about my business until the phone starts into 'alarm'.....

utahxjer

Another thing similar is door to door salesmen, (I use to do it, so I know it can be annoying)

Anyways last SUNDAY night I get a knock on my door at 9pm...... It's freakin' KIRBY vacuums handing out "free" cleanings.... on a SUNDAY??!!??

?JMAMA

Formerly YJMAMA
The other day I opened my door and this guy told me he was a chiropractor in town. He was trying to meet people. He thought I would be willing to give him my contact info so that he could get more patients. I do not buy ANYTHING door to door or over the phone. Why would I pick a medical professional that way????

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
utahxjer said:
Another thing similar is door to door salesmen, (I use to do it, so I know it can be annoying)

Story Time :)

One day a kid is going door to door to get people to sign up for the Ogden Substandard right. I don't like that they use child labor anyway, but to make them pitch their crap is even worse. Anyway, this kid was 8 .. maybe 9 years old and rings our bell. Hubbie answers the door and looks at the kid, the kid smiles and does his speal. Hubbie told the kid he couldn't read. I swear you could hear the kids jaw hit the ground :rofl: :rofl: We watched him walk to the newspaper van that was waiting for him and the kid was talking to the driver and then started to point at our house. :rofl: :rofl: They have NEVER been back in 9 years.

Tiny

mmmm.....beefy!!!
well, now I know how to get rid of those kinds of people, thats awesome. I usually like to humor them a little and make'm think they have a chance and then drop the bad news that I don't care.

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
We actually bought a Kirby and we enjoy it... but... we still get the salesmen come and ask if we would like our "carpets cleaned". We just reply, "we already have a Kirby". They always ask "how do you like it" and we always say "it's nice". Then they ask if we would like another :confused: . RIGHT... Like I am going to spend another 1K on a vaccum.

On another note, I also hate chain letters in your email. The ones that end in "Send this to 1000 people in the next 30 seconds or you will be bla,bla,bla,bla yack,yack,yack... STFU. I hate those letters.

Andrew

:D

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
mbryson said:

Have you tried Barracuda spam filter before? They use that at SESC (where I used to work) and it is one hell of a system.
:)

gksspot

These are the emails I get tired of...

ATTENTION,

First, I must solicit your confidant in this transaction, this is by
virtue of its nature as utterly CONFIDENTIAL and TOP SECRET. Though I
know that the transaction of this magnitude will make any one apprehensive
and worried, but I am assuring you that all will be well at the end of
the day. We have decided to contact you due to the urgency of this
transaction, as we have been reliably informed of your discreteness and
ability in transaction of this nature.

Let me start by first introducing myself properly to you, I am williams
kenny , a director with the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation
(NNPC)Eleme Refinery. I came to know of you in my private search for a
reliable and reputable person to handle the confidential transaction,
which involves the transfer of a huge sum of money to a foreign account
requiring maximum confidence.

THE PROPOSITION: a foreigner, Engineer James Akmed, an Oil
Merchant/Contractor with the Federal Government of Nigeria, until his suspension
three years ago, executed with us at Eleme Refinery of NNPC,and had a
total contract executed worth US$28.6 (Twenty Eight Million,Six Hundred
Thousand United States Dollar) which flows in the Corporation's suspense
account.

It is because of the allegation/petition leveled against him that he
(Engr. James Akmed) who is a close friend to the late dictatorship
General Sanni Abacha (formal Military President of Nigeria) who died in
office in 1998 and during his tenure the country experienced various
mismanagement and series of malpractices were carried out in
collaboration with his foreign friends.

However, a Panel were set up to investigate the issue,who found him
(Engr. James Akmed) guilty and the present Democratic President of
Nigeria Chief Olusegun Obasanjo suspended him from transacting any
business in Nigeria with immediate effect and was asked to leave the
country.

However,these made the contract fund "UNCLAIMABLE" which was only known
to my colleagues and I. Fortunately, all the Contract document
including the "CONTRACT COMPLETION CERTIFICATE" are with me but the need for a
very trustworthy foreign business man/woman whom I would present as the
Foreign contractor/beneficiary to claim the fund.

In order to achieve this development, some of my colleagues and I now
seek your permission to have you stand as the FOREIGN CONTRACTOR so
that the funds would be released and paid into your account as
beneficiary's who executed the contract in the year 1999. All documents and proves
to enable you get this fund will be carefully worked out.

More so, we are assuring you of a 100% risk free involvement. Your
share stays while the rest would be for me and my colleagues for investment
purposes in your country.

We have agree that, the funds be shared thus, after it has been
transferred into your nominated account: (1) 30% of the money will go
to you for acting as the beneficiary of the fund. (2.) 5%
will be set aside for reimbursement to both parties for any incidental
expenses that may be incurred in the cause of the transfer. (3). 65% to
us
the originator of the transaction.

If this proposal is acceptable by you, do not make undue advantage of
the trust we have bestowed on you and your Company, kindly get to me
immediately on my E-mail Address as stated bellow.
Please furnish me with your most confidential Telephone and Fax
Number(s),
Company Name to use,Banking information including the A/C Number, Swift
Code (if any).

I assure you that if you will follow my instruction,the fund shall be
in your Account within 7-10 days of this transaction.

Thanking you for your kind understanding in this regard.

My best regards,
ENGR. Williams kenny (MNSE)

NB; P/L REPLY TO MY ALTERNATIVE E-MAIL ADDRESS :
williams_kehinde2004@yahoo.co.uk