spartan race

Coco

Hardline90 on here is doing it, with a team. I am still on the fence. Working on getting into shape more than anything.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I kind of want to do a sprint before I do a super, but I've been debating on it. I wish they had a sprint in Utah this year.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I'm not real in to loop on these types of events, all I really know is that they are obstacle course races. Why are they better with a team? What sort of conditioning would one need to make it across the finish line? General all around fitness?

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
I've done my share of running, but the Spartans seem like they would just be a PITA! Especially a Beast!
however... If someone puts together a team and has a date in mind, let me know :)
I'm presently training for the Buffalo Run 50 miler in March, I have quite a bit on my plate through spring, but if there is room, I wouldn't mind trying one out!

Jeromy

I talked to my personal trainer today and he thinks i could give this a shot if i work hard. I have made good progress last couple of months and if i keep it up, maybe.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I'm not real in to loop on these types of events, all I really know is that they are obstacle course races. Why are they better with a team? What sort of conditioning would one need to make it across the finish line? General all around fitness?

You are looking at a race that takes several hours, and things like 10' high walls to go over with out a rope. Can you jump a 10' wall? its nice to have someone to help you over. I usually run these with 4 or 5 guys, it makes it a lot more fun. Its more about finishing and doing it than how fast. if you try one of these and you cant go out and run 8-10 miles, and be in pretty good physical strength you will be going around some obstacles and be pretty beat up before you are finished. You watch people getting carried out in utvs all day.

Here are a couple pics of the Tough Mudder

tm1.jpgtm2.jpgtm3.jpgtm4.jpgtough mudder before.jpgtough mudder durring.jpgtought mudder after.jpg

D

Deleted member 12904

I did what I think was basically an easier version of a Spartan race this past summer. It was called the special ops 5k. It wasn't very organized but was fun for me being my first time doing anything like this. Like many of you I did it as a goal to get in shape I started about this time last year and ended up loosing about 40 lbs. My training was weight lifting 3 days a week and cardio twice a week and when the race was 6 weeks out I started running 3-4 days a week but still weight trained 3 days a week.

D

Deleted member 12904

A before and after training to do this race. I have slipped the past couple moths and put some weight back on but if RME wants to do a out of shape fat boy team Im ready to start training again.

Jeromy

A before and after training to do this race. I have slipped the past couple moths and put some weight back on but if RME wants to do a out of shape fat boy team Im ready to start training again.

awesome job!!!!

out of shape fat boy team sounds about right for me! I'm 265 right now was 290 or so when i started a couple of months ago.

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel

Don't seel yourself short, Round is a shape! ;) I kid, great job on the run and getting in better shape!
I saw on FB, so take it FWIW, but they had a quick story about One of the other races like this, to use tear gas?!? I'm not sure if it was BS or not, but come on!
Best of luck all!

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Don't seel yourself short, Round is a shape! ;) I kid, great job on the run and getting in better shape!
I saw on FB, so take it FWIW, but they had a quick story about One of the other races like this, to use tear gas?!? I'm not sure if it was BS or not, but come on!
Best of luck all!

Tough Mudder uses electrical fencing things that hang down on a few obstacles, one of them you were crawling under barb wire and it was wet, I got knocked out 3 times before I got through. The second one you run through and they had a guy unconscious when we hit that one so we were told to go around, I wasn't too upset about that.

I would rather do a Tough Mudder than a Spartan race, they just keep on falling through in Utah. They are defiantly a better race if they show up.

Bob B

I did the "beast" last year with a group. These "races" are a lot of fun and a good way to test yourself. Being "in shape" is a good idea, but I can tell you anyone can do one of these. I saw every shape and size during the race. My wife did the race with me and she hates running. We would just run a bit, then walk and run when again when we could. The obstacles are nothing to be scared of as they are a fun break between the running. Things like jumping into mud pits, jumping over wood walls, rope climbs, monkey bars on overhead cargo nets, spear throwing, dragging and carrying thing etc. If you cant do a obstacle, its not big deal they just have you do 30 burpees instead. I took it easy and hung with my wife for 3/4 of the race and I finished it in 3 hrs. She finished in 4 and there were some finishing in 6+ hrs. Anyone thinking about getting fit and trying different things, should do this. I would recommend a camelbak, lots of energy type snacks and SUNSCREEN!

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
My training was weight lifting 3 days a week and cardio twice a week and when the race was 6 weeks out I started running 3-4 days a week but still weight trained 3 days a week.

Were you following a lifting program or did you already know what to lift when?

I've been thinking about doing a tri for several years. I swim and play water polo (not too much anymore) so I feel much more comfortable in water than on land but because of this never learned how to work out without someone telling me what swim sets to do on what times. I'm totally lost in a weight room and am too cheap to pay for a trainer. I have access to a pretty epic gym for free but in reality just don't know how to use it.

I've looked at Starting Strength or Strong Lifts in the past but have fallen off the wagon pretty quick.

I think I'd like to do an event like this but this one is probably too big too quick for me.

D

Deleted member 12904

Were you following a lifting program or did you already know what to lift when?

I've been thinking about doing a tri for several years. I swim and play water polo (not too much anymore) so I feel much more comfortable in water than on land but because of this never learned how to work out without someone telling me what swim sets to do on what times. I'm totally lost in a weight room and am too cheap to pay for a trainer. I have access to a pretty epic gym for free but in reality just don't know how to use it.

I've looked at Starting Strength or Strong Lifts in the past but have fallen off the wagon pretty quick.

I think I'd like to do an event like this but this one is probably too big too quick for me.

I used a personal trainer 3 days a week for 7 months. Our main goals where weight loss after I stopped training with him I started my own DUP "Daily Undulating Periodization" system that consisted of Dead Lifts, Bench Press and front squats 3 days a week and I was doing accessory work twice a week. It had huge Impacts on strength and muscle growth and my goal was a 405lb dead lift and 300lb bench press. I did reach those goals but unfortunately haven't been lifting much for a few months and my strength has really dropped.

I currently have a pass at Vasa or the old Golds. IF we can make a workout schedule work I would be interested in having a workout partner.