speaking of air

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
since we're on the topic, I'm curious what y'all prefer:

OBA, like a York or something(with or without tank)

or an electric compressor/tank

or a Powertank-like setup

and why?

I'm planning to have some kind of air on the tow rig, and I kind of like the idea of a compressor/tank setup, but I'm not 100%.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
York. They fully rock. Lots of CFM, and can be done on the cheap with junk yard parts and some fabrication.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
My preference would start with York, if that not available (not practical on some motors) then I prefer a CO2 setup. I'm yet to realize a time where my CO2 isn't more effective or as effective as any electric pump system, and on top of that its usually cheaper and more modular too. Last for me would be a mounted electric pump

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
I've never had a york or dealt with one so I have no opinion on them. But I like a CO2 tank setup. Its more portable, you can transfer between rigs, I only need one powertank for both rigs, instead of buying two OBA setups.
It will reseat a bead. faster than OBA. I know I am limited on room to have a compressor and a tank, so if I can just throw a powertank in the back its alot easier.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
There's a couple major drawbacks to CO2. When it's out it's out. You can't refill it on a trail or in a small town. You have to remember to fill it or swap it before every trip. With a compressor of any type you have unlimited free air, as long as it's working. I have a 5 pound CO2 setup, and I haven't even brought it on a trip in years. Of course, I haven't built an OBA setup for the XJ yet, and there may not be room under the hood for a York, so I may just start packing that bottle...

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
There's a couple major drawbacks to CO2. When it's out it's out. You can't refill it on a trail or in a small town. You have to remember to fill it or swap it before every trip.

X2. It does however take a lot of use to drain them it seems. But lets say one was 1/3 full? Do you refill it just to be safe every time or take a chance? Maybe I worry too much :confused: Also its a lot harder for somone to rip off an under hood compressor and oba system if it came down to that :( All that being said I don't dislike them at all I think they rockOn a side note how much does the standard size tank typically cost to fill?

York would be the ticket imo but my vehicle isn't the easiest one to adapt to. Thats the only complaint I have other than maybe cost but I really haven't done too much pricing on those recently.

I like the electric ones because they are really simple and you can mount them almost anywhere. They can go from one vehicle to another fairly easy and I have not heard too many complaints on reliability for the name brand units.

In reality how many people have seen an electric compressor failure? Just curious I'd like to know before I buy one :p I think if you plumb everything right, use a reputable brand compressor that is (rated for the desired amount) and don't cut corners an electric compressor with tank and plumbing should prove to be quite durable imo.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
CO2. You can't easily gauge the fill of them, the most accurate method is to weigh them full and emtpy, gauge your fill from there. A 5lb tank holds approx. 5lbs of CO2 above the tanks empty weight for example. Fill are cheap, ~$5-10 depending on size.

Scott39

This OBA Rocks. After using this OBA, it would be to hard to use anything else.
It airs up my 35" tire from 20 to 50 psi in less than a minute.

I also use it for any of my air needs.
But its not cheap.

10ql577.jpg

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
I am running a 15LBS CO2 setup on the XJ, This runs the ARB and fills tires for an entire season without a issue.. I also have a backup electric compressor that I run through an air dryer and then charge the CO2 tank with it (up to 150psi). this gives me a little more volume when needed if the CO2 tank runs dry (has yet to happen but I like backup)

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I had a 'york' style OBA system on teh blue 4runner.. LOVED IT! I had a small adjusting lever to increase/decrease the idle for maximum air output for air tools on teh trail if you wanted.. Fill an empty 37" tire in less than a minute.

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
CO2 is SO fast and convenient on the trail. However it is the only option thats inconvenient when you're not on the trail. You have to fill it up. I would have one, but I don't know of anywhere within 100 mile of me that can fill it for me.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
This OBA Rocks. After using this OBA, it would be to hard to use anything else.
It airs up my 35" tire from 20 to 50 psi in less than a minute.

I also use it for any of my air needs.
But its not cheap.

10ql577.jpg

I have a spare winch motor and a couple good Yorks sitting around... Anyone ever try to build on of these? I was planning on sticking a York under the hood, but man space is tight in there... :(

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
There are a couple good threads on naxja about it for cherokee, I was looking yesterday. But they all require battery relocating or loosing a/c

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
There are a couple good threads on naxja about it for cherokee, I was looking yesterday. But they all require battery relocating or loosing a/c

I already relocated my battery to the other side. I refuse to ditch my AC. My problem is I also have coilovers taking up space in the engine bay.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin

I used my sanden (ac pump) compressor for my onboard air for probably 7 years. Just added a drop of oil a day or two after a lot of use. In fact, I just recently removed the compressor to relocate my alternator up top so I do have a spare sanden available.

But yes, you lose your AC if you use the sanden. There might be some room on the pass side of the block you can get creative with, especially if you convert over to an electric fan and delete the fan pulley or just use it as a dummy.

I'm currently in the market for an electric OBA solution... Nothing major, just something to adjust my tire pressures on the trail or re-fill a puncture (0-7psi).

Corban_White

I have a spare winch motor and a couple good Yorks sitting around... Anyone ever try to build on of these? I was planning on sticking a York under the hood, but man space is tight in there... :(

Should be able to do it pretty easily. You would need to remove the gearing from the winch or it would be SLOW. Even then you might need to gear it up, possibly via a belt drive. If the winch motor spins fast enough for direct drive there are plenty shock absorbing of shaft couplers out there that you should be able to make it work and if not getting an adaptor machined should be pretty cheep.

I'm currently in the market for an electric OBA solution... Nothing major, just something to adjust my tire pressures on the trail or re-fill a puncture (0-7psi).
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66399