speaking of road cars: the 24 Hours of LeMons is coming!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
This is a valid point. On one hand, a Crown Vic (especially an Interceptor) would be very durable... but there would be a number of fuel stops. Something smaller and lighter could go further between stops, but that's irrelevant if it can't handle the long-term abuse.

As for structural integrity, consider this: if your car touches another car, both offenders are black flagged, brought into the pits and penalized. In other words, this is not a demolition derby. As such, a big tank might not be the best bet and certainly would not be required.

On that same note, how much would a surplus Taurus or Impala squad car go for? You could just paper mache your theme onto it with plastic bits and pop rivets.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I was thinking something small and lite.. Hyundai accent, civic, etc. great mpg, super reliable, and super cheap. 4 cylinder, manual trani. Less fuel stops, cheap tires, easy parts finding.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Car and Driver entered an Aurora a few years back, and they swore it cost them $500 to purchase. The judges didn't agree, and they were merciless to the poor Olds--there were photos of judges and perhaps even other contestants taking a pick axe to it. :eek:

They say in the rules you can bring documentation of what it cost you, as I remember? Either way, it's been at least a few years since Car and Driver did it, so I'm sure the value has gone down since then. :D

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I just picked up an AWD Saturn Vue for $500.. it's pretty peppy. Maybe I'll have to enter.

Also have a standing invite from no less than Matt Adair of Team Petty Cash (think blue 43, winged XJ) to take some laps w/him as a passenger over at Miller. My answer was, of course, YES. Matt is awesome. :D

LT.

The fellas from Hot Rod magazine have a youtube channel called Roadkill. In one episode they entered the 24 hours of lemons in an old car and did not do too well. If RME gets a team together is has to be a 4wd. Maybe a cherokee or something like that.

LT.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I love this idea and got a kick out of the roadkill episode but I think $500 is too little for a decent car anymore. It especially frustrates me when you have to put a decent amount of money in safety equipment into it. If I'm going to invest the time and money I'd be much happier investing it into a $1k car...

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
I wonder how it works if you want to buy an existing lemons car, since the owner wouldn't be able to sell it for $500 with all the safety crap they've put into it?
(I didn't read the rules, so sorry if it covers that) Maybe you keep the car and team name the same and just change out all the crew & drivers?

I put a cage in a guys lemons car and I tihnk he was saying he wasn't going to run it anymore.
I'd a badass old pos supra/celica thing. If hes trying to get rid of it maybe someone on here could pick up a turn-key car.

2igdm52.jpg

sixstringsteve

I was thinking something small and lite.. Hyundai accent, civic, etc. great mpg, super reliable, and super cheap. 4 cylinder, manual trani. Less fuel stops, cheap tires, easy parts finding.

x2

I also think an old 3 series beemer could be a good candidate, or maybe an old s10. A honda CRX could be cool too. Super light, super ugly, and super reliable.

Last edited:

XJEEPER

I'll be at the MMP event in July, pitting for Team NAXJA/PettyCashRacing. (Tacoma, Matt owes me some seat time as well!)

Matt Adair and Richard Gauthier (Ultra4 2013 Stock-class Champs) have built 2wd Jeep Cherokees to compete in the series. Dave Cole was behind the wheel of their newer TPC rig a few weeks ago at Sonoma Raceway, when he got nailed at the apex of a turn by a BMW with "brake failure". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CiNeOtkoVY&feature=c4-overview&list=UUq4NnY-jLWUr5G1OPu7PbWg

Matt has been driving his Petty blue XJ in the LeMons series for several years and has been very competitive. The recent LS swap made this rig REALLY fun to race! This year, Matt also whipped up a 3 series BMW to campaign.

http://pettycashracing.wordpress.com/

http://blog.caranddriver.com/petty-cash-the-greatest-road-racing-jeep-cherokee-in-lemons-history/

Here's more info and insight on the sport.......you can pretty much run any car you want that you think will hold together, as long as it passes Tech. Dual engine anyone? http://blog.caranddriver.com/lemons-goodbad-idea-of-the-week-twin-engined-toyota-mr2corolla/

Last edited: