Spliced loom and overfilled oil.... Great way to start my first Moab trip!

RogueJeepr

Here!
Great report.
Gotta double check thier work is more like it . Personally I'd call the higher up first, then they should track it down and get rid of whos responsible . Thats how it was done when it was Q-lube. More oil is as bad, if not worse than no / low oil .
Oh yeah, pull your plugs and check for oil on em' . Could be whats causing your issues . Clean em' or replace when ya can.

Last edited:

Troop92

Great report.
Gotta double check thier work is more like it . Personally I'd call the higher up first, then they should track it down and get rid of whos responsible . Thats how it was done when it was Q-lube. More oil is as bad, if not worse than no / low oil .
Oh yeah, pull your plugs and check for oil on em' . Could be whats causing your issues . Clean em' or replace when ya can.

Thanks, man. I'm glad that we kept going, even after all the crap that happened. I didn't use my camera as much as I should have, but it was amazing. Glad I could get that weekend, as crazy as it was, to see that all my work on Trooper hadn't been for nothing.

I talked to Jerry, an Isuzu guru/expert over on the planetisuzoo board. He said that you could put in a quart more with no real ill effects to the engine. They didn't recommend it, but it didn't hurt it in the testing he'd seen. RELIEF! I'm not telling JiffyLube that. I'm going to start with either soldering the loom back together (it's butt-end crimped now) or just pulling the loom at a yard if it has connectors at both ends. Then an oil change, spark plugs, and wires. We'll see where that gets me and go from there.

blznnp

I was sold a alternator that was "internally" regulated. Needless to say it wasn't and was charging my system at 16-17v. Messed up a battery. Sent a email to corporate autozone and got a call shortly after, like a day, from the regional rep and he told me to go in and get any battery I wanted. He was gonna take care of the alternator but I had already taken it to a guy to have it converted to a one wire hook up, that's how I found out it wasn't regulated. Glad you got it fixed and still made it down. I can't wait to get down there again.

Yeah, what "fixed" we could. It's definitely a stopgap. Going to see what jiffy lube says, then tear into it and for real fix it.

Same for all of us. We're already planning a March trip.
Was down that way Saturday and Sunday. Dont feel bad about issues on a trip. Buddy got a pretty good fuel leak on his YJ at the Shell. Of course it was shooting it right onto the tail pipe. That was fun to fix.

Troop92

Just an update -- it took me writing up a negative review on Google for a Regional Manager to call me. The store manager never did. I didn't write the review with malace, it was completely factual without embellishment. Guess they don't like reviews like that.

He called me, apologized for putting a damper on our trip. He said that he "wanted to make this right," but then as I retold the story, he sounded more and more disbelieving. For the two issues the discussion went as follows:

OIL OVERFILL
He said "well, I'll take your word on that, but we have double-check policies in place for a reason. But, like I said, I'll have to take your word on that." Um, I'm sorry, I don't waste time by trying to scam a Jiffy Lube. I have a picture, you overfilled it. Period. Don't insult me.

WIRE LOOM
He was curious how old my car is (shocker, they'll blame age on a 22yr old vehicle) and said "I'm just not sure how we could have done that during an oil change." He then told me that "on a Trooper you don't even need to take off the skid plate, you can reach the filter from the wheel well or the top." Unless he's Inspector Gadget or Stretch Armstrong, I'd really like to see him try. Unless there's a way I don't know about, it isn't possible without removing the skid plate. Though if they didn't remove the plate, that could explain how they messed up the loom attachment points, fishing around to get a strap wrench on.

We're meeting tomorrow so he can "assess" the situation. I'm not expecting great things, and won't be shocked if nothing comes of it. I already have all my stuff for my tuneup (spark plugs and wires, oil and filter, fuel filter for fun) and the wire loom fix (solder, flux, marine grade heat shrink), so that will be my weekend....

UGH. Why oh why was I lazy that morning and have them do it...... :-\

Last edited:

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I assure you jiffy lube has cameras they could go back and check.. But I imagine that's a wild goose chase just to try to prove you are right.

You can find many many documentaries and stories online with full video proof of the scamming, lying, and stupidity of jiffy lube.

This may just have to be chalked up to a lesson learned, and move on
:(

Troop92

I assure you jiffy lube has cameras they could go back and check.. But I imagine that's a wild goose chase just to try to prove you are right. You can find many many documentaries and stories online with full video proof of the scamming, lying, and stupidity of jiffy lube. This may just have to be chalked up to a lesson learned, and move on :(

This is what I'm expecting to happen. I know that they're trying to appease me, get me to take the review down. Even IF I chalk the loom up to age and the "it could have happened anytime" and took it down, I'd keep up the overfill portion. No way around that.

you welcome to use my garage any time as well. I live up by the air force base in Layton. Off 193 and Fairfield.

The graciousness of RME folk. Thanks, man. My garage is plenty big, though not "heated" unless I drag out my tiny, but trusty, bathroom heater and point it on me! :D The true "heated garage" will happen when I convince the wife that having a heated garage is a good thing. It's already plumbed (mostly) for natural gas. Soon.

We'll see what tomorrow brings. I'm cautiously optimistic, but who knows.

Troop92

"Well, we don't really know when or how this could have happened, it does have over 200k on it." - Jiffy Lube Regional Manager Sterling Headrick

jeeper

All of my garages and shops have free heat and free cooling.

The only problem is that my thermostat is set for heat in the summer and cold in the winter. I can't seem to get it to change either. ;(

jeeper

"Well, we don't really know when or how this could have happened, it does have over 200k on it." - Jiffy Lube Regional Manager Sterling Headrick

Well, let's see. It ran when I pulled it in, and didn't run when I pulled it out. I can give a close estimate as to when it happened.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins

Wow. Thats incredible. At this point I'd say that you have two options, just write it off and call it a learning experience and never go back. Or take them to small claims court, which would probably be more hassle than it's worth, but would get your point across.

Troop92

He asked me, over the phone, if anything else was wrong apart from the loom and overfill. I said "well, it's running really poorly now, but I don't know if that is due to the way in which we fixed the loom to limp us along, or oil getting into places it shouldn't be." And he said the above. Ugh.

As far as the meeting goes, here's how it went down, in the most locial way I know how to type it:

12:45pm: I called Sterling and said I was leaving work, would be at the location at 1:15pm. He said "great, see you there"

1:15pm: Got there and the store managers met me. Said Sterling was detained at another Jiffy Lube, would be along shortly. They had me tell them the whole story while they looked it over. They looked at my dipstick and said "oh, that kink is maybe 1/2 quart above full" as if each dipstick is the same. Said once more that Sterling would be along.

1:40pm: Sterling called, said it was taking a little longer but he was getting free and would be there "in about 30 minutes," but he would call me and for sure let me know when he was on his way. As he had been the initial contact, he wanted to take care of it instead of his store managers. Fine, whatever. I decided to go home, since I live all of 4 blocks away, and play with the kid. I'd head over when he called.

3:40pm: Yes, two hours later. I call him, get his voice mail, and tell him that I was going back to work, as I have projects with deadlines that need to be met.

3:46pm: Sterling calls, he says that he got tied up with another issues at another store that ran long -- and proceeded to tell me another horror story about a filter that FELL OFF a vehicle after a a few hundred miles. Way to win me back as a customer. Asked me if I wanted to meet at my home (um, hells to the no) or if I wanted to meet him in Salt Lake tomorrow. I reminded him that it's running poorly and said no to that. He then said he'd be in "my area" next week and we scheduled a meeting on "Tuesday around noon." He then, once more, said that while his managers could have handled it, he wanted to since he initiated contact. He said that he'll "get me taken care of" and "wants to make it right."

So the saga continues. We'll see what happens come Tuesday. I've noticed they sure like to toss around the phrase "we'll get you taken care of" like it was candy. Never specifics, though. He (Sterling) has been communicative, but never will nail down a time, or say anything concrete. It shouldn't be that hard to say "meet me at that store location at XX:XX time and we'll hash it out." I leave for the holiday the day after we're potentially to meet, so whatever happens will push it into December, over a month after the issue/first complain to the store. Looks like I won't be registering it this month...

Last edited: