spooled CJ steering help. how to fix?

cambam

My 7 has a hard time turning. i know that part of the problem is my spooled 44 front end. my question is, should I spend the $$ on ram assist steering, and if so, how much of that $$ stuff am i talking about? Are there any other alternitives? Oh yah, and like most CJs, my power steering box leaks anyway. Could ths be part of the problem?

All comments and help are appreciated.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
cambam said:
My 7 has a hard time turning. i know that part of the problem is my spooled 44 front end. my question is, should I spend the $$ on ram assist steering, and if so, how much of that $$ stuff am i talking about? Are there any other alternitives? Oh yah, and like most CJs, my power steering box leaks anyway. Could ths be part of the problem?

All comments and help are appreciated.

Hydraulic assist will get you where you want to be. :cool: Have the steering box rebuilt while it's out being ported.

By the time you're done, you'll probably be into the system somewhere between $400-$500 or so. (unless you pay someone to install it, then add some more)

cambam

Is my stock box and pump the best way to go, or should i upgrade the whole thing if im going to tear it apart? Are there any "better" set ups out there than the stock one? does anyone know if the system out of a J 20 pick up will bolt up?

cambam

yah, I have one of thoes. the problem is that as long as my hubs are locked, my front axel is solid. the twin stick is cool, but I still cant steer.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
cambam said:
Is my stock box and pump the best way to go, or should i upgrade the whole thing if im going to tear it apart? Are there any "better" set ups out there than the stock one? does anyone know if the system out of a J 20 pick up will bolt up?

I'd use your stock setup for now, you can always upgrade the pump later if you feel the need. Your steering box will be just fine. (the J20 box may bolt on, but it's essentially the same as the CJ one)

willies45

willies45
I am only running 36's and found that I could not turn things at times. I went with the Redneck system and have not regretted it for a minute, except that stock steering arms did not hold up. I had them rebuild and up grade the steering box and then they can tell you how to up grade your original pump. Was very reasonable and has worked great for all types of situations.

fattodog

frame cracks= More flex!!
Look into Rocklogic. I am running their ram assist setup and have had no problems at all. Took my box to them and they ported it and plumbed it for the ram. I run a kingpin 60 with a detroit locker, 37" Krawlers and can steer in the rocks effortlessly. It is WELL worth the money!
KENNETH !!