Spooling Synthetic (with pics)

Master Pull

In response to some questions I have seen online and also ones that we received at the shop I thought it would be good to show how to properly spool a synthetic rope on a winch drum.

It's important to make sure you get the rope going the correct way on the drum, on electric winches today the rope wraps under the drum as pictured. You can see where our drum link bolts to the winch and holds the rope in place when it is spooling. Make sure you always leave one full layer of wraps on the drum. This is what secures the rope when winching, the drum link is only there to hold the rope tight when it is being spooled on.

P1010156.jpg

Make sure you use a fairlead built for synthetic, such as one of our hawse type fairleads. Rollers will work if they are smooth and not used with steel cable.

P1010157.jpg

It's difficult to see, but make sure there is at least a quarter of an inch gap between the inside of the fairlead and the backing plate. If they are the same height then the rope will rub on the bumper instead of the fairlead.

P1010158.jpg

It is important to use heat guard with the first wrap on the drum of synthetic, ours is 12 feet long. Get this (and all the wraps) as tight as possible to prevent the rope from cutting through the top layers.

P1010160.jpg

Keep fingers and hands away from the winch so they can't be sucked in while you are spooling!

P1010161.jpg

Keep tension on the rope to make sure you get tight need wraps on the winch. The neater it is the better it will fit.

P1010163.jpg

The finished product, Superline XD for this Scout!

P1010168.jpg

-Alex

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I have always been told that you need to spool it on with a little bit of tension, is that not true?

Usually when spooling up I find a slight grade and just winch my vehicle forward in neutral to get a tight wind. :cool: