Spring repair?

Corban_White

Well, the scout took a pretty hard hit and bent the spring. Can it be straightened? Who would I go to? I already went to AAA spring and they said it might be able to be straightened but then the guy decided he felt like raping us and after he went inside changed his mind and said it couldn't be straightened and we would need a new main and second leaf to the tune of about $300! :eek::eek::eek: Needless to say, we won't be going there. :rolleyes: Anywhere else in the area? Thanks.

IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I have some old cj7 springs laying around... they are straight... might be able to take the top two leafs if you need them... I'll get you some measurements....

N8RB8R

Best Deal Spring in Payson, They should be able to build you a brand new pair to your specs for that price, they do springs for me all the time. And they stand behind them and will take care of you if anything happens.

Last edited:

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
Best Deal Springs

I agree that Best Deal Springs is very good to work with and provide good products for good prices. My Scout 80/800/II/CTD is on its second set of Best Deal Springs.

Corban_White

I have some old cj7 springs laying around... they are straight... might be able to take the top two leafs if you need them... I'll get you some measurements....

That would be awesome! These are the #s off the scout:

center of bolt to center of bolt straight across
42 1/2"

center to center following the spring
44"

arch measurement from top leaf to straight edge aligned with center of bolts (Scout on ground)
6 1/8

Arch measurement from top leaf to straight edge aligned with center of bolts (scout lifted with hi lift)
8 3/4"

Spring width
2"

If that doesn't match the CJ, does anyone know what it might match that I might find at the junk yard?

rollover

I'll dig them out on Monday & get some pics & measurements for you. Unfortunately I think they were pretty much flat when on the vehicle.

If there the right length it may be cheaper to re arc them. Be sure to do both sides. That keeps your front end driving straight down the road.

JM2C

Last edited:

billylight

from looking at your build and seeing all the hard work you have put into the body/frame of your scout i would think its high time you toss the scout springs and build yourself a front suspension worthy of the rest of the vehicle. thats a heavy vehicle and those are heavy axles. step up to something meant for that kind of stress or it will happen again. im sure you could get a lot of ideas from rme members on here of junk yard combos that would work great or just a 4" front chev springs or something

Corban_White

Well, the spring probably would have been fine but 25 MPH into the side of the narrows in AF canyon causes a few things:
  1. bent suspension
  2. 25-0 in .01 sec
  3. both rear tires to come off the ground :eek:
  4. never allowing my friend to drive around any sort of obstacles-especially with no power steering :rofl:
That was a scary few seconds when he lost control and I knew we were going to either hit the wall or drive off the cliff to the river far far below. Both bad options. I'm glad this was all that happened.