Springin' for a Battery

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
All batteries do better in colder conditions...

Hmmm, never heard that in reference to an automobile battery (nor most batteries... In fact I've always thought just the opposite, hence while COLD cranking amps are lower than the advertised cranking amps (though I recognize the testing for each is different).

I tried a quick google search, nothing too difinitive everything seems to support that it is better to "store" batteries in colder temp (such as the fridge), but that just slows the degridation... When your actually using them an increased temp is better.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Hmmm, never heard that in reference to an automobile battery (nor most batteries... In fact I've always thought just the opposite, hence while COLD cranking amps are lower than the advertised cranking amps (though I recognize the testing for each is different).

I tried a quick google search, nothing too difinitive everything seems to support that it is better to "store" batteries in colder temp (such as the fridge), but that just slows the degridation... When your actually using them an increased temp is better.

I've been refferencing storage this whole time :D As well, you can't overcharge them or they will vaporize and their life will deteriorate faster.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I've been refferencing storage this whole time :D As well, you can't overcharge them or they will vaporize and their life will deteriorate faster.

Are we storing batteries or using batteries??? Its fine and dandy that they don't deteriorate as quickly at low temps, but you have to use them to start a rig... :)

XJEEPER

Just stumbled across this.....I've noticed lately that my 2 yr old Orbital is southbound, cranks my 4.0 very slowly. My red top Optima lasted 5 years with several complete discharges, time for an Optima Yellowtop.

richpblaze

I've had an

Optima yellow top for about seven years now. I was have wiring issues in Moab, took it in to Car Conquest dead (two years old replaced it free of charge) I still have this now 5 years old, if it sits for long periods of time it dies ( maybe something from the Runner slowly drawing amps ) It will not charge. All I have to do is jump it, the charge it and it's fine. I will definetly buy Optima for life.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Just stumbled across this.....I've noticed lately that my 2 yr old Orbital is southbound, cranks my 4.0 very slowly. My red top Optima lasted 5 years with several complete discharges, time for an Optima Yellowtop.

3 year free replacement, go get a new one. :)

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Are we storing batteries or using batteries??? Its fine and dandy that they don't deteriorate as quickly at low temps, but you have to use them to start a rig... :)

The original deal was that he couldn't let it sit for more than 2 days without it being dead. Then it went to Optima's dying before their time. Back then is when I started talking about proper storage and charging for a lifetime Optima.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Optima yellow top for about seven years now. I was have wiring issues in Moab, took it in to Car Conquest dead (two years old replaced it free of charge) I still have this now 5 years old, if it sits for long periods of time it dies ( maybe something from the Runner slowly drawing amps ) It will not charge. All I have to do is jump it, the charge it and it's fine. I will definetly buy Optima for life.

Anything as simple as a clock or EFI computer will drain a battery... Stuff that you wouldn't even think about, until you are walking. :D

jdub

Scrambler
Ever shopped at a store and asked for one thing and they take you to see something else? Makes me so mad! I never shop there again!

On the flip-side I have always loved doing business with someone who will give you all the information you need to make sure you're satisfied. Even taking the chance that it might result in not making a sale. That was the case with me on several occasions dealing with wanehartwig. Even though he hasn't seen a dime from me. I will make sure I'm purchasing parts for my rig from Alljeep.