Sprinter Race rig

Tonkaman

IMG_5941.jpegIMG_0151.jpegIMG_6007.jpegIMG_6006.jpegAbout a month ago I picked up a Mercedes Sprinter van for our dirt bike adventure rig. It’s a 2011 crew van variant which is a 170” wheelbase and high roof. It comes with a factory rear seat, windows the rear seat, a full headliner, and rubber floor.

It was previously owned by a bicycle shop where it was used to transport bikes. They added galvanized sheet metal wall panels, and had one wall lined in bike racks.

Tonkaman

IMG_6021.jpegIMG_6023.jpegFirst thing I had to make this van feel more like mine and less like a shop van.

I stripped the old company logos off the sides and removed all the bike racks.

Anybody need a bike rack?

Attachments

• IMG_6022.jpeg
    IMG_6022.jpeg
    457.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Tonkaman

IMG_6010.jpegIMG_6011.jpegIMG_6012.jpegThis thing is no beauty queen, and needs some TLC. There are several areas with crappy paint corrections on the exterior. I’m not sure what these repairs are hiding underneath, but it’s something I’m nervous to find out.

There are also several spots that rust is beginning to pop out through the paint. Some of these spots are blistering up and some are just discoloration. I’ll likely end up doing some bodywork to stop the rust and cover with a vinyl wrap instead of repainting.

How concerned should I be about these rust spots? Should I sand them down and coat with a rust inhibitor?

Last edited:

Tonkaman

This thing is huge!! We have used it for 2 race weekends so far and it has been fantastic! We can load up all of the camp gear, riding gear, spare parts, and bike without making a dent in the cargo space.

Our first trip to mesquite for a weekend:
IMG_6046.jpeg

There’s so much space we can even pack the sewing machine! 😂 😂
IMG_3589.jpegIMG_3594.jpeg

Tonkaman

I learned real quick that this thing is a giant heat sink which makes for freezing cold nights. Black Friday deals gave me the motivation to do some sound dampening and insulation.

I removed the metal panel walls and headliner to start.

Progress so far:
IMG_6239.jpeg

I know most guys will say that I only need to cover 25%-50% and I understand the law of diminishing returns. That being said with this much sheet metal I think the typical install leaves too much room for noise to accumulate.

1969honda

Supporting Member
Lizard skin ceramic on the rest? It's a bit spendy, but takes no room, adds almost no weight and might help? I'm seriously considering it under my megacab when I get it back. The factory from what I can tell (3rd owner) didn't insulate anything under the cab from the front seats back, and could use some serious noise/outside heat insulation. 🙄

Tonkaman

Lizard skin ceramic on the rest? It's a bit spendy, but takes no room, adds almost no weight and might help? I'm seriously considering it under my megacab when I get it back. The factory from what I can tell (3rd owner) didn't insulate anything under the cab from the front seats back, and could use some serious noise/outside heat insulation. 🙄

I already bought 250 sq/ft of butyl dampening from a company called B-quiet online. For the price it was worth finding out how effective it is. Reviews were good so fingers crossed 🤞

I’ve got 90 feet installed now which is only half the walls, and half the roof. So much more to do…
IMG_6242.jpeg

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Now I just wish you figured out a way to see how well it insulates from noise and cold. Like a before and after. It looks great!

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
What's the drive like with fuel and whatnot in the passenger compartment? I drove with MFC's in the back of my cruiser that sealed well but I don't know anything about moto fuel containers. I also recognize that moto guys are weird and maybe its like cologne for you.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
What's the drive like with fuel and whatnot in the passenger compartment? I drove with MFC's in the back of my cruiser that sealed well but I don't know anything about moto fuel containers. I also recognize that moto guys are weird and maybe its like cologne for you.
I’m going to go with “pungent” for 1000, Alex. My buddies race van was a ripe cocktail of sweaty riding gear and fuel vapor. It was awesome.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
It’s only cologne if it is MRX02.

I have a wall in our van. It’s not air sealed, but completely closed of. Rarely can I smell gas. However when we were running a 50/50 mix of VP C12 & MRX02 that smell enveloped you…..but it smelled great.

Tonkaman

Like the other have said, you can’t escape the inevitable smells of fun. So far it hasn’t bothered me one bit. I imagine the giant amount of airspace in this thing vs your cruiser is what makes that possible. Many race vans have a partition wall to keep the “garage” separate from the passengers for this very reason. I don’t see it being an issue for me, but we will see if the wife agrees…

J-mobzz

Like the other have said, you can’t escape the inevitable smells of fun. So far it hasn’t bothered me one bit. I imagine the giant amount of airspace in this thing vs your cruiser is what makes that possible. Many race vans have a partition wall to keep the “garage” separate from the passengers for this very reason. I don’t see it being an issue for me, but we will see if the wife agrees…
Do a rear swing out with gas can racks! I’ll come help and bring a bender if you want. IMG_6307.jpeg

Tonkaman

Do a rear swing out with gas can racks! I’ll come help and bring a bender if you want. View attachment 167095
Oh man I love the way that van has turned out. So freaking good looking.

I’m really loving the full 270° open doors so I don’t want to lose that. Maybe someday I’ll feel he need, but for now I’ll keep huffing fumes like a real man 😆