Square drive shaft

Terrible Paulsy

100% Evil Conservative
they are pretty easy to build. What material are you using?

Not sure...just starting the whole "thinking about doing this" process while i'm at work here this morning. Prolly something like 2.5" .25 thick square tube outside with 2" .25 thick inside. Weld some yokes on the ends, and grease the poop out of it, and presto! Somfin like that..

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Terrible Paulsy said:
Not sure...just starting the whole "thinking about doing this" process while i'm at work here this morning. Prolly something like 2.5" .25 thick square tube outside with 2" .25 thick inside. Weld some yokes on the ends, and grease the poop out of it, and presto! Somfin like that..
most square tubing you will find will have a seam inside. Unless you use reciever hitch tube.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Here are some pics. These are not mine. I'm not sure who they belong to, but they make a good reference.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
I made one that will go for a front or a rear spare. I used hitch tube. Easy to build. But there is to much slop inbetween the two tubes to drive it on the street. I had to do it for a couple trips while jessy was building my .25 rear. Heavy but affective. I had issues with my rear has a CV output flange and i had a regular flange so I drilled new holes for the spare shaft. That was a PITA.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Jess says 'Square is for Spare', :rofl: .

I wouldn't build a square driveshaft if you plan on running your truck in 4 wheel drive, while on the road. I doubt it'll be very balanced & that will wear on your pinion bearing & T-Case bearing's, especially with all that slop & weight being tossed around at high speeds!

If you want, come check out how tight my Tube Bender stand is. I used 2.5" & 2" Square that slip into each other.

If you want to go this route, let me know! I'd love to help you do it, it sounds like a fun project. :D

Terrible Paulsy

100% Evil Conservative
I really only want to do this for a spare/temp front shaft if it can be done cheaply. If it is going to be really involved, then I'll just go to a P n P and get me a front shaft. I wouldn't plan on using it on the street in 4wd, just while crawlin on the rocks. Once I get the lift/axle relocation i want, then I'll pony up the dough for something a little more functional. But hey, if you want to help a brotha out Greg, then I'm all about it. It's all about the bootie fab anyway, right? :D

Greg

Admin
Terrible Paulsy said:
I really only want to do this for a spare/temp front shaft if it can be done cheaply. If it is going to be really involved, then I'll just go to a P n P and get me a front shaft. I wouldn't plan on using it on the street in 4wd, just while crawlin on the rocks. Once I get the lift/axle relocation i want, then I'll pony up the dough for something a little more functional. But hey, if you want to help a brotha out Greg, then I'm all about it. It's all about the bootie fab anyway, right? :D

If it'll be a Temp/Spare deal, then let's do it! I think I know where we could find a doner 'shaft.

When we heading to the junk yard? :D

Greg

Admin
Terrible Paulsy said:
Saturday, if you're up for it. Don't know whatcha got planned. Let me know if that will work, or just call me, and we'll figger it out :)

Sat is pretty booked right now, but we'll see if we can do it then.

Greg

Admin
crimsonride said:
I wonder if the dude who made this tried to get it balanced. I wonder "why the cv?"

It looks like a the yokes are from a front shaft for a Toyota. They are CV's stock, due to the angle to the diff.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Greg said:
.... I doubt it'll be very balanced & that will wear on your pinion bearing & T-Case bearing's, especially with all that slop & weight being tossed around at high speeds!..

Bingo!

Ollie took out his front pinion bearing because he had to drive his truck on the pavement after breaking a rear end. Not only could he only go 40 mph, but it trashed his bearing and seal as well.